Bad Boy 27hp Briggs wont start

wildwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay i have tone between "B" and "S" on the key switch so...its good! But nothing between female "S" and the small terminal on the solenoid, Oh JOY!!!!!
The only other safety switch i can think of that i have not jumped out is the PTO, but there is no removable plug to jump, but when i engage and disengage the PTO or the blades i should say, i can hear it swithing back and forth, so i "assume" its working properly? oh well its late! thanks Pal

wildwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
okay throwing in the towel!! Sorry, but i dont have the time and my grass is knee high, thanks for your help

wildwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
okay! i didnt throw in the towel because i couldn bring myself to paying some outragous repair bill,
You told me there was a open somewhere between the key switch and the small post on the solenoid
you were right, Although i had each safety device plug jumped, there was one of the plugs i jumped that was broken inside
and i never knew it, so therefor the curcuit was not complete. So i cut that plug off, twisted the two wires together
and that "BADBOY" fired up!!! Happy Days are here again!!!!!

again thanks for your help "Rivets"

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How many hours did it take. My guess is 2.5. Broken wires in plugs are probably the hardest to find. Congratulations on having the patience to get through it. I know what it takes. Remember step 4??

bamadirtrider

Threads
How many hours did it take. My guess is 2.5. Broken wires in plugs are probably the hardest to find. Congratulations on having the patience to get through it. I know what it takes. Remember step 4??

I am having the same problem with my BadBoy. I had it before and found a broken wire at one of the handle safety switches. I have just started trouble shooting this time but I had a question: My battery reads 12.34 volts. That should at least make it turn over right? I did try to jump it off with no luck.
Here is what I have done:
1) Cleaned the ground surfaces. No start
2) Cleaned the battery terminals. No start
3) Checked the switch between the B & S terminals: switch has continuity when turned to crank position.
4) Checked B wire (White) from switch to solenoid: continuity
5) Checked wires to both handle switches & seat: OK
6) Then disconnected each switch & jumped it out. No start.
7) Checked the voltage at the solenoid terminal from the battery: 12.34V
8) Checked voltage at the white wire on solenoid while trying to crank: No voltage. --> Seems to indicate a bad switch, but I checked: 3 above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I like tinkering to find the problem . . . but with the rain we've been having and other priorities at the moment I'd just as soon get er fired up ASAP! I can hear the grass growing now . . . and I have about 9 acres I keep mowed.
Thanks again for any and all help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, let's start with the procedure. In the steps listed you are checking voltage not continuity. Second, none of these tests are done with the safety switches jumped. Have you check voltage at the B terminal on the key switch? If you have no voltage there, you will get no voltage out the S terminal. Remember, check everything, verify everything, and ASSUME NOTHING.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
rivets , a classic thread to put into a sticky. good stuff. motoman

bamadirtrider

Threads
Problem solved. Wire was broken inside the terminal. Thanks Rivets for the help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I got lucky again. Motorman, this procedure was put together by LawnRanger and I just twicked it a bit. He is the brains behind it, not me.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
rivets, too modest. anyway the forum at its best