Back to Square One: Ariens/Kohler XT-7 doesn't want to start ... again

beekeeper42

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Back to Square One: Ariens/Kohler XT-7 doesn't want to start ... again
Kohler/Ariens XT-7, AK173K22, now three years old. Had same problem starting last two years. In April, again I had a hard time getting it started. Succeeded finally, using SeaFoam, higher octane gas, Valvoline engine starter spray. Then it started easily and ran fine into May. Three days ago I got interrupted halfway through mowing the front yard. An hour later, it would not start. Has not started since. What is different now? 1) smell of gas and evidence of slow drip, 2) air filter seems damp with gas, small amount of gas pools at bottom of air intake. When I pull the starter, nothing happens... no change after 20 pulls.

I have tried to find an engine schematic. No luck. Nothing downloadable that I can locate. I would have no idea what to look for or where anyway. Mfgrs have not been helpful.

Suggestions? Ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Look at the serial number on the engine, and see if your serial number falls in the range of 37xxxxxxxxx to 39xxxxxxxxx. If so Kohler had problems with corroding needle valves that would either stick shut and would run until the carb was empty, or stick open and drain the fuel tank out the air cleaner. The fix is to replace the carb, but have heard rumors that some of the replacement carbs were also faulty. I know the part number of the carb superseded last year, so there may have been a fix.

beekeeper42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look at the serial number on the engine, and see if your serial number falls in the range of 37xxxxxxxxx to 39xxxxxxxxx. If so Kohler had problems with corroding needle valves that would either stick shut and would run until the carb was empty, or stick open and drain the fuel tank out the air cleaner. The fix is to replace the carb, but have heard rumors that some of the replacement carbs were also faulty. I know the part number of the carb superseded last year, so there may have been a fix.

ILENGINE. Yup. Got one of those. #3909017798 stamped on the engine. Given what I described, what do I need, where do I get it, how do I install it? (I'd apologize for not knowing, but I expect I am not the first internal combustion moron you've dealt with, and you've heard the apologies before.)

Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Go to www.kohlerplus.com , click on accept terms, then enter as guest. After it loads, at the top right there is a box that you can enter the engine spec number, may have to change drop down menu. that will give you service manual, parts lookup, any service bulletins, etc.

Any Kohler dealer in your area can get the required parts to fix your mower.

beekeeper42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go to www.kohlerplus.com , click on accept terms, then enter as guest. After it loads, at the top right there is a box that you can enter the engine spec number, may have to change drop down menu. that will give you service manual, parts lookup, any service bulletins, etc.

Any Kohler dealer in your area can get the required parts to fix your mower.

Thanks for the help, ILENGINE.

Best wishes,

Beekeeper
:thumbsup:

beekeeper42

Forum Newbie
Threads
ILENGINE,

Learned something that might be useful to you.

I took the XT-7 to a reputable, local, small engine/mower shop. They have seen the same problem. They attribute it to ethanol, which in this neck of the woods is supposed to be 10% of volume, but at some stations is testing at 20% or more. The effect is to corrode metal parts and rot hoses and seals. They keep a show-and-tell demo carb by the cash register. It is corroded.

Their recommended solution: 1) fresh fuel only, nothing older than 30 days; 2) by trial and error, figure out how much fuel it takes to mow the yard and use that amount... if it runs out, add just enough fuel to finish the job; 3) each time, run the engine until it is empty; a couple ounces of SeaFoam added to the last bit of fuel on the last run of the mowing season.

I'll get my XT-7 back in 10 days and will let you know how well the strategy works. Two neighbors (who use the same repair service) swear by it.

Cheers,

Beekeeper

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
ILENGINE,

Learned something that might be useful to you.

I took the XT-7 to a reputable, local, small engine/mower shop. They have seen the same problem. They attribute it to ethanol, which in this neck of the woods is supposed to be 10% of volume, but at some stations is testing at 20% or more. The effect is to corrode metal parts and rot hoses and seals. They keep a show-and-tell demo carb by the cash register. It is corroded.

Their recommended solution: 1) fresh fuel only, nothing older than 30 days; 2) by trial and error, figure out how much fuel it takes to mow the yard and use that amount... if it runs out, add just enough fuel to finish the job; 3) each time, run the engine until it is empty; a couple ounces of SeaFoam added to the last bit of fuel on the last run of the mowing season.

I'll get my XT-7 back in 10 days and will let you know how well the strategy works. Two neighbors (who use the same repair service) swear by it.

Cheers,

Beekeeper

It is not the ethanol that causes the problem, it is the water that it absorbs from the air which forms an acid, and is very corrosive to aluminum. Last recommendation for fuel was not to store more fuel than will consume in 14 days, and always use an ethanol rated type fuel additive. I use Startron in the shop. Seems to work as a cleaner also.

The problem with the original xt-7 carbs was there was a plating problem on the needle valve, that lead to premature corrosion and would stick the needle either open, or closed.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Listen to ILengine and not your dealer on this one. Your dealer is giving you the standard brush off line for this problem. Our solution is to use non ethanol fuel and only buy enough to last 30 days. If I have seen one carb with this problem, I've seen a hundred.

beekeeper42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Listen to ILengine and not your dealer on this one. Your dealer is giving you the standard brush off line for this problem. Our solution is to use non ethanol fuel and only buy enough to last 30 days. If I have seen one carb with this problem, I've seen a hundred.

Rivets and ILENGINE,

I think we are on the same page on this. Non-ethanol gas is hard to find in this area, so I am stuck with the stuff at the pumps.

What I find amazing is that manufacturers do not seem to have adjusted their production and the problem continues.

Thanks for your time and wisdom.

Beekeeper

TnHusky

Threads
Rivets and ILENGINE,

I think we are on the same page on this. Non-ethanol gas is hard to find in this area, so I am stuck with the stuff at the pumps.

What I find amazing is that manufacturers do not seem to have adjusted their production and the problem continues.

Thanks for your time and wisdom.

Beekeeper

We can buy Non-ethanol gas where I live but if you can't does the higher octane fuel help, 87 verses 93 for instance? Just curious because sometimes when I'm in a hurry I'll just buy 93 from BP or Marathon at 10% ethanol.