B&Stratton Cam Mystery..looks Good but didn't work

tackleberry

Threads
I have a OHV Single cylinder 17.5 B&S engine that exhibited classic signs of camshaft compression release failure...engine would bump 1/4 of a turn on attempting to start. When I opened the engine, the camshaft and compression release device was intact. No visible signs of undue wear on anything, the cam lobes barely showed any wear at all. The valves, I had checked before pulling the engine and valve lashes were within spec, I replaced the Cam with an OEM B&S cam, and the engine started and ran normally after that. So, My question is, is everything was intact on the cam I pulled out, what is the indicator or target on the old cam that would tell me its bad? The spring seemed free and the little lever for the compression release looked like it would be in the correct position to bump the valve on start, then swing away properly once the engine started spinning...any clues?

Attachments

• 20230810_133932.jpg
    20230810_133932.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230810_133922.jpg
    20230810_133922.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 11

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have come across an occasionally camshaft with what I will refer to as a lazy compression release. Everything seems normal but just doesn't seem to work for one reason or another. Part of the reason I have a policy of if I am opening an engine for a suspected ACR failure I am installing a camshaft out of principle. Just not enough time to mess with what could be a faulty camshaft.

tackleberry

Threads
at 80.00 plus for a OE cam...I hate replacing something that aint broke...you understand that...but i'm mystified with this one...I've got another in work (a 28N707-0526-A1) doing the same thing, I do not see a bump out of the valves, and it will not revup upon starter application, so its going to get a new cam. Has Briggs and Stratton ever addressed this massive design failure? The design is is good, but apparently the materials are not up to the task with this many failures...If the Chinese want to make a zillion dollars just on this part, fix this part to work 1000 hours. They make em, but they aren't any better and maybe worse than OEM, from what i've seen and heard so far. For myself, I'd go with a Aftermarket and just fix it if it breaks...I cannot put that part in as an aftermarket and then sell the mower..won't do it to someone knowing that aftermarket won't last even a year or even to the next startup.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
at 80.00 plus for a OE cam...I hate replacing something that aint broke...you understand that...but i'm mystified with this one...I've got another in work (a 28N707-0526-A1) doing the same thing, I do not see a bump out of the valves, and it will not revup upon starter application, so its going to get a new cam. Has Briggs and Stratton ever addressed this massive design failure? The design is is good, but apparently the materials are not up to the task with this many failures...If the Chinese want to make a zillion dollars just on this part, fix this part to work 1000 hours. They make em, but they aren't any better and maybe worse than OEM, from what i've seen and heard so far. For myself, I'd go with a Aftermarket and just fix it if it breaks...I cannot put that part in as an aftermarket and then sell the mower..won't do it to someone knowing that aftermarket won't last even a year or even to the next startup.
I understand about not replacing something that is not broke. But in some cases that has to be wieghed against having to do the job a second time if you put it back together and still have the issue. Briggs has not fixed the ACR issue. But you need to keep in mind that we may see what appears to be a lot of failures but in reality that failure rate is probably less than 1% of the engines in use.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probabaly got a cam where the lobes have slipped on the shaft. They will kick back violenty and not start and you may think it is a compression release but it is not. Briggs single inteck is the sorries engine on the market. It is not is the cam is going to fail but when. Sorry design.They also blow head gaskets.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Probabaly got a cam where the lobes have slipped on the shaft. They will kick back violenty and not start and you may think it is a compression release but it is not. Briggs single inteck is the sorries engine on the market. It is not is the cam is going to fail but when. Sorry design.They also blow head gaskets.
The compression release mechanism simply does not break that often. I get tired of hearing online on forums, etc. about what a POS Briggs engine is because of this, this, or this. It isn’t that bad of a job to replace a camshaft to solve the problem. I have done (1) in the last five years. If you are going to go to the trouble of removing engine from mower and opening it up, even if the compression release is still physically on the cam, replace the cam if the bump isn’t happening.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I robibaly get 4 or 5 a year. but will say they seem to be on the older units. maybe they have help the problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now I have replaced about 20 of the 793880 camshafts in the last 14 yrs. Matter of fact I just replace four last year and one yesterday. Please avoid those Chinese aftermarket ones as the ones I got were junk. They only lasted a season before there ACR broke off. The pin would snap off due it being constantly rocked back and forth.

I still got a couple of them in stock and only use them on the el cheapo customers' engines. Down to one OEM camshaft now. Not ordering another $100 camshaft until I use the last one here.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do about 100 jobs a year at the moment
Usually 3 to 4 Intek head gaskets a year & 1 to 2 cams
The cams are just about the only engine out of the mower jobs I regularly do

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get a lot of pan gaskets on the Briggs Inteck V Twins and the Kohler Twin Commands. Have a lot of head gaskets on the older Commands. Matter of fact have one in the shop now.They have a tendency to blow out side the cylinder and they whistle at you on start up and shut down. The Kohler Command is a really good engine they run forever, know of one with over 8,000 hours on it and still going strong. Single cylinder Command is the best single cylinder engine ever built. They just don't give any trouble other than and occasional carb issue. Too bad they stopped building them but I guess they just cost too much to build today.