B & S Vanguard 19L engine hard to start

JEHunter

Threads
New Vanguard 305cc engine put on old mower November 2022. Have used it several times, most recently four days ago; never had any problem starting on first or second pull. Today I cannot pull the rope more than about a foot. If I use both hands and pull slowly, the crankshaft will turn but I cannot pull the rope fast enough to cause a spark. Both the local dealer that installed the engine and the closest B&S factory service dealer were unable to help, saying only that it could be valve or compression related. They said to bring it in and neither could do any service for at least three weeks. In the meantime, the weeds are growing. The fuel tank is full; oil is up to mark; no debris that I can find blocking anything; blade is disengaged. I'm stumped. I did notice for the first time an electrical wire hanging loose on the front of the engine, below the fuel tank. I cannot find anything to which it could be attached. When I mentioned the wire to the authorized dealer and he said that wouldn't be the cause of my problem. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post model xxxxxx, Type xxxx, Trim xx, Code xxxxxxxx from engine plate, sticker, etc. Also post make, model, serial, year of mower equipment, thanks Mark