B&S starts then dies

slow030

Threads
Have a craftsman 917.379470 with B&S 6.5 hp motor , with primer bulb. Primes great, can see plenty of fuel when I prime it. Starts on first pull, then dies in about 2 seconds. Cleaned carb in ultrasonic cleaner, fresh gas, new spark plug. Had a new chinese carb I put on and it does the same thing. When I take the carb bowl off, it is full of gas. Looks like it has a new primer bulb also. Any ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove oil dipstick & smell for gas in oil.
See Troubleshooting Section in manual above.
Post model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, code xxxxxxxx from B&S Engine.

Last edited:

slow030

Threads
Don't smell any gas in the oil. Swapped in another coil, runs couple seconds longer, but still dies.

slow030

Threads
123K02 0456 E1 050601 FB Changed out the o-ring gasket on carb, and seems to run. Will let it set a couple days and see if it will run.

slow030

Threads
Tried to start today , and does the same thing, starts then dies after couple seconds.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean and flush out the fuel tank. Install new fuel lines from tank to carb. A filter is good if you can fit one.

Clean the main jet on the OEM carb. Don't waste your time with Chinese carbs unless your OEM carb is no longer made.

Sounds like it is priming proper. Just running dry on full zip. You have a fuel delivery issue.

slow030

Threads
Unless I am looking in the wrong place, under troubleshooting it says to go to briggsandstratton.com or call their help line.

slow030

Threads
Fixed. Previous owner replaced primer bulb with the wrong one. I replaced with the correct one and mower runs great. I did not know that there were different kinds.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
with primer bulb. Primes great, can see plenty of fuel when I prime it.
So another primer bulb was the trick? Thought it was priming before? Oh well go cut some grass.