B & S engine won't start all the time

jewisian

Threads
I have a Husqvarna YTH2348 with a Briggs & Stratton engine 445577 2187 G5 that I've been working on and its driving me crazy. I have cleaned the carburetor twice, put in all new gaskets, changed the fuel filter, adjusted the valves,new battery, oil and filter change, new air filter, drained the fuel and put in new. The mower runs great with a small shot of carburetor cleaner and will continue to start afterwards as long as the engine is warm. After it sits for a while it won't start again without another shot of carburetor cleaner. It starts right up and will continue to run and start until it sits again for a while. Any ideas? The flywheel is rusty, would that make a difference? Key is ok. I'm totally lost at this point.

Lawnranger

Threads
Make sure the choke is closing all the way.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have seen more than one Husky with the single throttle/choke cable setup seem to loose adjustment at the clamp in front of the engine, and prevent the choke from closing all the way. Even to the point of only closing the choke halfway.

jewisian

Threads
How do I check it with the carb reinstalled? How do I adjust it without seeing it? Is it obvious?

Lawnranger

Threads
If your particular setup is like what ILENGINE mentioned then you have a helper hold the throttle/choke lever in the choke position while you loosen the cable hold down screw back at the carburetor and pull the housing to take out any slack and tighten the screw back down. Don't over tighten that little screw! Should take all of 30 seconds when you figure out what you need to do.

Good luck

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Or if you do not have any beer left in the fridge, loosen the clamp bolt on the throttle cable.
Move the throttle lever full forward to the choke position, it should stay there all by itself.
Now pull the throttle cable back and watch the choke linkage ( loop of wire at the top of the control plate ).
CLamp the cable when the choke control is full forward.
Now move the throttle lever back down to the run notch and check that the lever which was pushing the choke control forward ( choke on ) is clear of the choke control wire, (choke off ).
Sounds a lot more compicated than it is.
You just need the choke to be completely closed in the start position and fully off in the run position.

I will hazard a guess that when you reassembled the carb you did not get the choke control wire through its slot in the control plate.
Done this myself on more than one occasion.
If you have the two nut carb mounting studs, ( nikki from memory ) you can pull off the air cleaner to get a better view.
If ou have the single nut system then you will need some sort of spacer to hold the carb full home if you want to remove the air cleaner.

Lawnranger

Threads
loosen the clamp bolt on the throttle cable.
Move the throttle lever full forward to the choke position, it should stay there all by itself.
Now pull the throttle cable back and watch the choke linkage ( loop of wire at the top of the control plate ).
CLamp the cable when the choke control is full forward.

WOW! I wish I would have thought of that. Oh, wait, I did. Thanks for the affirmation.

jewisian

Threads
Thanks a million for all the help. Found the linkage for the choke wasn't installed correctly. Put it one right and now it starts and runs great!