B&S engine seized. Short block, whole new engine...or new tractor???

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / B&S engine seized. Short block, whole new engine...or new tractor???
you can get a complete new engine for far less than $800, and all you do is bolt it on

440 dollars from surplus center and bolt it in, fine do it that way. I have the catalog. This person is having it done at a shop. Life doesn't work that way. Most shops would show him the door. I agree if he was doing his own work yes put a engine in it and he could do it for about 500+ dollars. If you didn't know it yet one of the ways a shop makes money, they don't sell parts for what they paid for them. As I read it he already has it at a shop and was quoted a price. 800 dollars short block or 1200 dollars complete engine 1900 dollars new mower. He was asking what he should do.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Why would he go to a forum for advice?" ??????????? I thought this forum is to provide such advice.

Threads
"Why would he go to a forum for advice?" ??????????? I thought this forum is to provide such advice.

It is for advice, and he should not go to the shop unless he doesnt know how to repair it on his own. I dont I will figure it out on my own, or junk it before it goes to the shop but anyone giving those kind of quotes should be run out of business. Considering the fact that a complete engine, and labor would be cheaper for the customer.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is for advice, and he should not go to the shop unless he doesnt know how to repair it on his own. I dont I will figure it out on my own, or junk it before it goes to the shop but anyone giving those kind of quotes should be run out of business. Considering the fact that a complete engine, and labor would be cheaper for the customer.

If this job had come into my shop. I wouldn't be quoting prices till I have taken things apart. Also it would be up to the customer as to what they would want before I would take anything apart. Also being a small shop it takes me hours sometimes looking up parts and prices. This is the very reason I am going to get out of the repair business. Yes it would just be easier to say it needs a engine from the very start.

Threads
If this job had come into my shop. I wouldn't be quoting prices till I have taken things apart. Also it would be up to the customer as to what they would want before I would take anything apart. Also being a small shop it takes me hours sometimes looking up parts and prices. This is the very reason I am going to get out of the repair business. Yes it would just be easier to say it needs a engine from the very start.

Yep you would have to make $$ but the prices he listed where a little over the top dont you think? I almost made the same mistake myself I could replace my engine for $1583.00 + shipping from sears, or less than $600 from the surplus center online for the exact same engine.

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
If it was me. I would find another shop. Or get a good used mower from Craigslist. Spending 800 for just a short block is crazy!! You can get a good used engine from a mower with a bad transmission, or other non engine related problems for prob 200-300 bucks. Its not more than a few hours work to swap it out. Did you run it low on oil?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep you would have to make $$ but the prices he listed where a little over the top dont you think? I almost made the same mistake myself I could replace my engine for $1583.00 + shipping from sears, or less than $600 from the surplus center online for the exact same engine.

I really don't think the prices are over the top. As a fact I would say 800 dollars for a short block sound like a bargain. Yes OP should buy his engine himself and do his own labor, yes he will save money. The repair shop can't give their parts and labor away. It cost them just as much for everyday living as any other business. Are you afraid this shop is going rich off this job? I don't think so. I have no idea how you made your money but its a good chance most people get paid for what they do, unless they were born rich. I made my living in repairs and know a lot of people who have a lot more money then I have. It just doesn't bother anybody when someone makes big money in sales but don't do it in repairs.

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
I understand the shop has to make money........... If the short block cost 300 to them wholesale. They mark it up 600 to the customer. And 200 labor to install and get running is fair. I just think for that kind of money its cheaper in the long run to have another engine installed then reuse the head, carb intake, starter ect. Sometimes when the engines go they bend valves, and ruin heads in the process.

I really don't think the prices are over the top. As a fact I would say 800 dollars for a short block sound like a bargain. Yes OP should buy his engine himself and do his own labor, yes he will save money. The repair shop can't give their parts and labor away. It cost them just as much for everyday living as any other business. Are you afraid this shop is going rich off this job? I don't think so. I have no idea how you made your money but its a good chance most people get paid for what they do, unless they were born rich. I made my living in repairs and know a lot of people who have a lot more money then I have. It just doesn't bother anybody when someone makes big money in sales but don't do it in repairs.

Threads
I understand the shop has to make money........... If the short block cost 300 to them wholesale. They mark it up 600 to the customer. And 200 labor to install and get running is fair. I just think for that kind of money its cheaper in the long run to have another engine installed then reuse the head, carb intake, starter ect. Sometimes when the engines go they bend valves, and ruin heads in the process.

Yep its like half new engine, and half old engine which might end up causing more trouble. I think 100% markup is a little much myself, and usually shops like that dont hang around long because it catches up with them. We have had 3 go under with that kind of business practice in our area in the last 4 years... making money is one thing but ripping people off is another.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most shops tend to shy away from someone bringing in engines, new or used, and wanting the shop to do the swap. If they
bring in an engine that is not the same, it gets into time=money, and if the new engine throws a rod in the first 10 minutes,
the customer expects the shop to stand behind it, a big problem.
If the shop got the engine or shortblock through their own distributor, they would have some recourse, but an engine bought
off the internet, or used, etc....., no one will stand behind it, and if anyone did, who will pay the extra labor. No, that
is the kind of work that one gets a neighborhood kid to do it.

No, the guy will bring in an engine with different alternator, wrong crank size, etc.....