B&S 8HP Unknown Part

donens

Threads
reynoldston! By the away, what's the machine pic of your avatar?

I looked at the document from new link! I assume it's the page 58 and 59 of Section 7 on Alternators. It looks similar except the pic looks like the plug isn't integrated with the part. Shows the rectifier beside the plug terminals in the housing. Just not sure, and definitely don't know what function it serves?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A solid state rectifier is used to rectify (convert) AC current to DC current. The charging system (stator) produces AC current which in most cases is of no use on most pieces of small engine equipment.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
reynoldston! By the away, what's the machine pic of your avatar?

?

2000 Ferris Pro 60. It was over 8000 dollars when I bought it new in 2000 but well worth the money. I hope it will be the last mower I will ever have to buy.

donens

Threads
A solid state rectifier is used to rectify (convert) AC current to DC current. The charging system (stator) produces AC current which in most cases is of no use on most pieces of small engine equipment.

So, do you mean connecting the alternator wire (diode wire) directly to the battery will not work without such a rectifier? The alternator has a dual plug with for what I thought was a battery charging circuit and a lights circuit.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, but now you have got me. Without being there to test each one of the plugs I can't tell you how to continue. I don't know what type of stator and charging system you have on your engine. With out being able to see all parts, I will only be giving guesses, which could destroy the entire system and/or battery.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry, but now you have got me. Without being there to test each one of the plugs I can't tell you how to continue. I don't know what type of stator and charging system you have on your engine. With out being able to see all parts, I will only be giving guesses, which could destroy the entire system and/or battery.

Pictures ....... man ....... pictures..... it's surprising how much I see in all the photos I take when ever I work on ANYTHING ..... I go in overkill mode, you can always delete them, ( using a digital camera of course) ... and sometimes I use the video mode.... SO MUCH better than any manual , especially when using MACRO mode , If you look at my albums on this site you'll understand what I mean, ........ if those seeking help would give some pertinent info. ( model, serial, type, family , year and ALL the associated info. ) then the folks in the position of offering their time and help could do a better job , faster and with less frustration, I see some posts asking for help ...... ( ie. - My mower quit running , can you help me out ?? ) " Sure, which way did ya come in " ...... seriously, ....... I can tell Rivets and the others are trying to help the best they can and it's frustrating trying to help someone fix something when you're not physically there with hands and eyes on . Sorry for ranting , but I feel the frustration on BOTH sides of these situations ..... Boobala ....:mur:

donens

Threads
Sorry for the frustration! I'll try to post some pertinent information. I take multiple pics of repairs performed, probably too many, primarily prior to alterations.
100_3015.jpg 100_2014.jpg
100_3012.jpg

John Deere 68 Riding Mower (8HP B&S) - original engine
A684E
053897M
Briggs and Stratton
191702 5632 01

Repowering Briggs and Stratton 8HP
193702 0215 01

The original engine had electric 12v starter, flywheel with ring gear, but no solenoid or alternator. Has plug in for external charger. Two safety switches, trans. neutral and brake, so engine cannot be started in gear or without park brake. Uses 4 post turn key ignition switch and pull switch for kill.
The replacement engine has electric 12v starter, flywheel with ring gear/alternator internal magnets. Adding solenoid, standard 5 post ignition switch to start, kill, utilizing magneto and ground terminials to kill, battery and solenoid terminals to start. Had not planned on adding voltage regulator, since mower likely not run long enough to over charge battery.

Hope this explains things better!