B&S 500e will not start

gamma_ray

Threads
Hello,

I have a relatively new Poulan Pro push mower with a B&S 500e engine. The model number is: 09P602-0019.

It ran fine all last year, but I cannot get it started for the life of me this year. The primer bulb seems not to work at all, After doing all the usual things (making sure the spark plug is clean, fresh fuel in the tank and carb, clean air filter) I can only get it to run if I squirt fuel into the carb venturi, and then it runs only for the short time it's burning that fuel.

After downloading a parts manual, I noticed there's a hose missing from the carburetor, which apparently is attached to the backside of the primer bulb. It's part 528 on page 3 of the parts manual: "Hose-Primer". Well it makes sense if that's missing the primer bulb surely won't work.

My question is: Where is the hose connected?? I can see where one end of the hose connects (a white barb fitting on the carb) but cannot find where the other end goes.

If anyone has a 500e or 550e, I sure would appreciate the help!

Thank you,

Gamma

PrimerHose.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am not laughing at you, but this makes the 4th one I have come across about the missing primer hose. The hose doesn't exist. The primer pushes air directly into the front of the carb, the barb serves no purpose that I know of, and you can't blow through it if you tried.

I suspect the barb is for a different application but not for your use.

I would suspect like the others, you need to remove the carb bowl, and toward the bottom of the emulsion tower is a nickel colored jet. That jet is clogged and needs to be cleaned.

DaveTN

Threads
LOL I too found one of those 'White Mystery Barbs' and didn't know what it was
for either. I also tried to blow through it to no avail. So just shrugged and went on.

gamma_ray

Threads
Air does pass through the white barb on mine when I depress the bulb. I had it right close to my cheek and there is definitely air passing through, albeit a very small amount.

Gamma

gamma_ray

Threads
Thank you all with your input.

I'm really disappointed in the quality of B&S engines though. This ~one-year old engine also has an oil leak likely around the valve cover gasket that I'll have to deal with as well.

I also have a Hustler ZTR mower with a Honda GXV620 engine that has been awesome over the past 13 years of my ownership. Other than basic maintenance, a few parts replacements, changing the fuel lines a couple of times (darn ethanol) It's run flawlessly. Unless anyone else has a better recommendation, my next push mower will definitely be a Honda.

Gamma

shadow8ski

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would suspect like the others, you need to remove the carb bowl, and toward the bottom of the emulsion tower is a nickel colored jet. That jet is clogged and needs to be cleaned.

Thank you ILENGINE for the solution. I needed a little help on the step-by-step procedure from "Jeff's Little Engine Service" Youtube video:

Search for: Murray LAWNMOWER Won't start? Briggs and Stratton E-Series 4.50 HP: CABURETOR REMOVAL and CLEANING

MJP