B&S 402707 to noisy for children

Xen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went to: Jacks Small Engines.

I then sent them an email stating our problem.
They were very helpful. Told us this;

"Thank you for the email to Jacks! The quiet muffler you are researching offers to lower the exhaust noise of engine by 6-8 decibels which is the same as removing a whisper from the noise you currently have. Unfortunately that is not what most people want they want substantial noise reduction and with a briggs that is really very hard to find. I apologize for the news, but I would rather be honest with you then sell you something I doubt you will like. Please advise if I can help you with anything else"

The best quality you could ask for in a company is honesty.
Thank you very much.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, if the original muffler didn't have a bunch of holes, which it probably does, you could get one of the directional baffles that deflect the exhaust
and noise in whichever direction you want, nd for the most part, the mufflers were supplied by the mfgr of the tractor, and not briggs, but if there
were no holes in the old muffler, or baffles blown out, getting new one wouldn't improve things much. But if you were to remove the muffler and inspect and shake it, you will likely discover some problems with it, and with a new/good muffler and the deflector, you will get what you are after.

D

DSepe

Sue this man for everything he has!!! He's trying to show kids a good time! He's probably a pervert also! Just tell him he's not welcome in this overprotective parent world anymore. You know kids shouldn't be outside with all those germs! Sorry you got an attitude with Fish for no reason and then deleted your post that was quoted. So that means it's still visible. Treat people with respect if you want suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I came here seeking help in our effort to protect children.

The comments I am seeing make no sense and were not expected.

Perhaps I did not give enough background.

This train was constructed by a member of the local Lions Club years ago.
The Lions Club in this town supports this amusement for children.
Several of us are now trying to resolve this noise problem so that the hearing of children will not be effected.
I personally have donated a new whistle for this train.

I think in future I will use another method to seek help.
Perhaps those making comments should ask more questions before making judgements in future.

D

DSepe

I came here seeking help in our effort to protect children. The comments I am seeing make no sense and were not expected. Perhaps I did not give enough background. This train was constructed by a member of the local Lions Club years ago. The Lions Club in this town supports this amusement for children. Several of us are now trying to resolve this noise problem so that the hearing of children will not be effected. I personally have donated a new whistle for this train. I think in future I will use another method to seek help. Perhaps those making comments should ask more questions before making judgements in future.

Yep the background info helps a lot. It looked like you attacked fish for saying "intervention" but at the same time things may have gotten deleted. It just looked really bad from what messages are left on this thread.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Naw, it was my bad... I started out by joshing a bit, which never translates well on these forums. So I am the one that started out on the wrong foot.

I am still guessing that the mower has a few blown out baffles to be loud enough to even be the genesis of this post, and the twin pipes that go into this muffler have no gasket, ust go into the 2 inlet holes on it's top, so if it has been run loose for a while, there would be some big gaps there...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never got into something like this but why couldn't you adapt a small car or tractor muffler to fit??

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can run two tractor type mufflers on J pipes.

Would look good with the dual stacks and would bring the noise level down.
At the same time putting the noise up above the train and not hitting the ground that makes more noise. And would also keep the fumes off the kids.

Tractor supply sells everything you need.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, pointing them up is always good, but you will have to keep rain out, which Tractor Supply has the fix for too....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yup they have exhaust flaps.