Export thread

B&S 31C707-0154-E1 carb ?

U

unioncreek

I just finished overhauling the engine listed in the subject line. The only thing I haven't done yet is the carb, engine runs good at full throttle, but a little rough at idle. I know the bottom of the throttle shaft is oblong, but I haven't checked the hole in the carb to see if it's out worn out. I believe the carb is a Walbro, but need to pull it off and check the back side of the carb.
My question is should I buy a carb off eBay or rebuild this one?

Thanks,
Bob

R

Rivets

That engine comes with two carbs. A Walbro and a Nikki. If it was me I would attempt to rebuild a Walbro carb, but replace a Nikki carb. My luck with rebuilding a Nikki carb is not one I am proud of, so I usually replace them, but I always call the customer first, as replacing can get very expensive. Just my opinion.

U

unioncreek

Sorry it took so long for an update. The carb is a Walbro. I decided to try making a throttle shaft, so I found some 1/4" brass rod in my scrap bin. Chucked it up in the lathe after getting a good measurement on the old shaft. It's lucky that I have a small lathe and mill. I was able to get the top plate in the correct rotation and the mower runs like new.

Bob

B

bertsmobile1

Bob,
Did you peen over the end of the bolts on the butterfly ?
They have a bad habit of falling out and you know where they end up .