B&S 20hp with Nikki Carb Died After Carb Removal

polarisgold

Threads
Thanks to all that the time to respond....your help is deeply appreciated.

My engine for a long time would die if I let off the accelerator. I know it just tightens the belt to make it go. Anyway, I lived with it for a while and then it started to sputter and try its best to die while riding so I replaced the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. Upon tearing the thing apart I noticed a 1/2" diameter thin rubber hoes coming from the carburetor to the engine. This hose had separated at the seams in a few places, so I fixed that. It ran much better but died as always when I let off the accelerator. So I thought there might be a block in a jet in the carb, went through the carb and assembled everything. Now it will not start, not even an inkling of an almost start. The spark plug is sparking and all wires are hooked as they should be, also the only fuse I know of is good......

Any, I mean any ideas as to why it will not start please say so. It does have gas and that gas is good and getting to the right places. Can't really afford to have a mechanic fix this....I use this thing as my wheelchair on my property. Really need the stupid thing to run...

Please help!!

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
do you have the fuel shut off from when you took the carb off?
is fuel getting to the carb?
Make sure the fuse is good sometimes they look good but they are not
Is it turning over at all?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We are in need of a lot more info from you to be able to offer any help. Guessing like Micah is all you'll get which won't help you much. Post all the engine numbers so we can identify what you are talking about. Briggs makes many 20 horse engines and we have to narrow down to one.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
We are in need of a lot more info from you to be able to offer any help. Guessing like Micah is all you'll get which won't help you much. Post all the engine numbers so we can identify what you are talking about. Briggs makes many 20 horse engines and we have to narrow down to one.

right

Derek101

Threads
Try the shut off solenoid on the bottom of carb may be sticking. Shut off fuel and take on of bottom of carb plug solenoid back in and test travel by turning key to acc. Could see if starts and runs from carburettor cleaner sprayed lightly into carb. Did you remove centre jet from carb and clean it is behind the jet you screw from bottom of carb.