B&S 17 hp sputter, oil and dies

bigheaded5

Threads
I just acquired a craftsman with a B&S 17 hp (Model:311707/Type:0132-E1). It starts EVERY time, runs smooth for a few minutes, then begins to sputter more and more and eventually dies. I thought it might be rings letting oil by (blue smoke with every sputter) but now notice oil blow by coming into the carb filter area through the vent tube. Im guessing this is a vacuum line from the crank case....could there be a clog in the system? Would much rather a clogged tube than to replace the rings as I was about to do this week.

bigheaded5@aol.com:confused2:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check breather pipe, check to see if there is too much oil in engine, if so it could be the rings.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
More than likely head gasket blown between the cylinder and valve chest causing oil to flow up through the carb.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes that is also true.....am not getting old, I am old...!

bigheaded5

Threads
I just acquired a craftsman with a B&S 17 hp (Model:311707/Type:0132-E1). It starts EVERY time, runs smooth for a few minutes, then begins to sputter more and more and eventually dies. I thought it might be rings letting oil by (blue smoke with every sputter) but now notice oil blow by coming into the carb filter area through the vent tube. Im guessing this is a vacuum line from the crank case....could there be a clog in the system? Would much rather a clogged tube than to replace the rings as I was about to do this week.

bigheaded5@aol.com:confused2:

I should have mention.... there is a large accumulation of oil/dirt on the frame....leading me to think your right about a blown head gasket.

bigheaded5

Threads
OK.... I forgot my training... START WITH THE BASICS. Turned out JUST to be a clogged air filter.

Noticing a build up of oil on the engine, mostly on the carb side of the machine, took off the filter as it was running (sputtering) and it STOPPED running rough and sputtering and I also noticed a good amount of oil in base of the carb housing. When I put the filter back on, I heard/felt the air rushing into the gap in the filter where the screw protrudes out the top....telling me NO AIR is getting through the filter itself.

The extra suction was pulling excess oil up through the vent tube. The design of the filter housing helps gather the oil instead of letting it flow into the intake but a small amount did get into the carb causing it to COUGH. When the mower was put away, the oil would drip onto the frame...over and over making it LOOK like there was a severe leak in a gasket. I picked the mower up assuming there WAS a bad gasket.....

The original owner claimed he had it serviced each season....which is total BS. It was NEVER serviced and by the look of the oil, IT was never changed either.

So now its for sale and I have to return the base gasket and rings...Losing the $8 S&H lesson learned!