Repairs Axle pivot bearings

Super Max

Forum Newbie
Threads
:confused2:My Cadet 2182 axle bearings need replacement. I have new bearings/bushings but the old ones are not coming out at all well. I discussed this with the factory tech. but found he had no clue nor previous experience. Has anyone had success or experience with this?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up a few pics. A pic of the new parts as well.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They should just be pressed in. My self I have a bearing removal kit which comes in different sizes and I just drive the bearings out with a hammer and this kit. If I get a real tight bearing I use a press over a hammer. What I have done in the pass when I don't have the bearing removal kit is use a large socket which I don't like doing because it bangs up my sockets. Also just a large punch should work also. When you go to install them just make sure you don't bugger them up so they spin free on the axle.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
They should just be pressed in. My self I have a bearing removal kit which comes in different sizes and I just drive the bearings out with a hammer and this kit. If I get a real tight bearing I use a press over a hammer. What I have done in the pass when I don't have the bearing removal kit is use a large socket which I don't like doing because it bangs up my sockets. Also just a large punch should work also. When you go to install them just make sure you don't bugger them up so they spin free on the axle.

I use the socket and punch method

Super Max

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried sockets, punch, chisel, heat. They do not move. So far the only progress made is portions have broken out.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried sockets, punch, chisel, heat. They do not move. So far the only progress made is portions have broken out.

Sounds like its time to start cutting/ braking be careful

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

Put up a pic, or at least the part numbers!!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you taking out brass bushings or roller bearings. I have found that in very rare cases that I have had to cut out roller bearings with a torch. If that is the case be careful because you can do damage very easy. If it is brass bushings split them with a hack saw blade. If you don't own one take them some where that has a press and remove them that way would be you best bet. I don't think they would charge you very much just to press out some bearings.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you taking out brass bushings or roller bearings. I have found that in very rare cases that I have had to cut out roller bearings with a torch. If that is the case be careful because you can do damage very easy. If it is brass bushings split them with a hack saw blade. If you don't own one take them some where that has a press and remove them that way would be you best bet. I don't think they would charge you very much just to press out some bearings.

I have had to cut out a few bearings NEVER use a torch... I use a dremel saw and cut then pound with chisel or flat head screwdriver and hammer..... Frankly I hate the use of torches on mowers to much risk generally mowers are made out of thin or cheap metal heat guns are one thing but the dremel has done me great

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have had to cut out a few bearings NEVER use a torch... I use a dremel saw and cut then pound with chisel or flat head screwdriver and hammer..... Frankly I hate the use of torches on mowers to much risk generally mowers are made out of thin or cheap metal heat guns are one thing but the dremel has done me great

I agree with everything you are saying here. To cut a bearing out with a torch would be my very last resort. If you don't know how to handle a cutting torch you will do more damage then good. Yes I have had very good luck with a dremel saw.