Automotive diagnostic software

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been considering the purchase of a program you can load on your laptop and plug the laptop into your car to somehow get data from your OBD 2 computer. This in an effort to determine/pinpoint problems with your cars engine and drivetrain.
I'm relunctant to invest in this software as I imagine it would precipitate more questions than answers. I don't want to wind up with a lot of data I am inable to interpret.
has anyone used or purchased anything like this software? It's a lot more complex than just a code reader.
One of the companies I've been corresponding with is "Autotap"
AutoTap Express DIY - OBDII Scanner

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like most specialized tools it is not going to benefit the average driver...
If you are inclined to attempt to get the ultimate mileage /performance from a computer controlled engine it might be handy for accumulating real time data...

The express system seems to be lacking in real time data logging capability... not sure what is gained using it without recording ability ...can not see that it allows parameter changes in fuel management, ignition or transmission program flashing...

Seems to be not much more than a OBD2code reader... KennyV

lizard

Threads
This is all good if you do not have outlay a lot of money.......some of these programs are serious money!:rolleyes:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is all good if you do not have outlay a lot of money.......some of these programs are serious money!:rolleyes:
This program is around 200$, but it's not clear how many add ons you need to get it to be conclusive.

It's that or the dealer... In this country Auto dealers ( at least the ones around here) are notorius for not having any conscience when it comes to acurate estimates and price gouging. The last time I took the truck to the dealer was for a popped lock, as someone tried to break into my truck or steal it.
He tried to charge me for a 1 hour diagnostic charge. it was around 85 bucks.... in addition to parts and labor.
1 hour to diagnose a popped lock! :mad::eek:
I'd be curious to know if the same is true down under.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
tried to charge me for a 1 hour diagnostic charge. it was around 85 bucks.... in addition to parts and labor.

I am sure there are those that try to pad a bill as much as they can...
AND there are those that have no idea what is needed so they go along with anything that is billed out...
I am glad that you did catch their "error" and had them make it right...
Keep in mind just what type place they are and go anywhere else in the future... Not that it will ever hurt their business, but you certainly do not need to help their business...

If the device is only code diagnostic it is not worth owning...
there are free diagnostics available at several auto parts supply locations... check your local area..
:smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
This program is around 200$, but it's not clear how many add ons you need to get it to be conclusive.

It's that or the dealer... In this country Auto dealers ( at least the ones around here) are notorius for not having any conscience when it comes to acurate estimates and price gouging. The last time I took the truck to the dealer was for a popped lock, as someone tried to break into my truck or steal it.
He tried to charge me for a 1 hour diagnostic charge. it was around 85 bucks.... in addition to parts and labor.
1 hour to diagnose a popped lock! :mad::eek:
I'd be curious to know if the same is true down under.

In Australia the consumer rules, if they try to rip you off they can lose their license if they cannot explain their actions! Best to ask around for a idea of how compentant they are!:confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In Australia the consumer rules, if they try to rip you off they can lose their license

Wish it were so here...
For the most part, public opinion only works in small communities...
In the larger cities there is so much apathy that the bad places continue and just get the next victim that walks in...
The only time they disappear is if they go out of business...
If there were ever a shop audit of billed hours verses actual man hours paid in any given time period, it would be very apparent that a lot of folks are paying for time that could never have existed...

There are sites like... Ripoff Report | Scams, Frauds, Reviews And Consumer Complaints.
But not enough people us it ...
The only thing you can do here is warn those that you know and hope they/you don't encounter the crooked businesses. :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I question the outlay of money to buy software that is not going to be used frequently enough that it will result in a cost savings to the consumer. $200 sounds like a huge ripoff to me. What are people going to do with the software, and on how many vehicles? Is it of REAL use?