Ariens Sport Zoom 1232 Electrical Issue

mbratch

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK I put a new (B&S branded) starter in. After I buttoned it all up, it all starts and runs great. I quintuple checked my first valve lash job just to be sure it was good. I want to thank you folks for your guidance, as it was a huge help. When I get time, I might triage my old starter just to see what's up with it.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I always undo starters inside a big carton with some old cloth loosely tacked to the sides as brush springs can go flying when you pull the end cap off.
B & S brushes are cheap & readily available but if the brushes look good then it is an uneconomic repair and off to the recycle bin with it.

mbratch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well... it seems the saga continues.

The mower ran great all summer and started fine. It started strong and quickly most of the summer. Toward the end, it took a few turns, and sometimes the turns were a little sluggish, but it would start.

I went to start it this weekend for one last go to get loose leaves and such. It turned a little then suddenly just stopped. The symptoms seem just like before. I didn't do anything to abuse the electrical system this year. I'm really perplexed. It's really looking like I'm in the market for another starter again, but I have no idea what could be going wrong with the electrical.

Anyone have any ideas what I can check?

Thanks

Micah Haarhoff

Threads

The mower ran great all summer and started fine. It started strong and quickly most of the summer. Toward the end, it took a few turns, and sometimes the turns were a little sluggish, but it would start.

I went to start it this weekend for one last go to get loose leaves and such. It turned a little then suddenly just stopped. The symptoms seem just like before. I didn't do anything to abuse the electrical system this year. I'm really perplexed. It's really looking like I'm in the market for another starter again, but I have no idea what could be going wrong with the electrical.

Thanks

maybe try the fuse?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Thanks

Turn the engine over the hard spot by hand the try the starter again.
If it does one turn then stops again you have the old compression release problem back again.
Most of the damage done to starters is owners forcing it to turn over an engine with little or no decompression.

If the mower has been sitting for a few weeks it may have leaked fuel into the cylinder and you have a hydraulic lock.
So remove the plug & try to turn the engine over by hand looking for fuel pouring out.
Also check for "too much" oil on the dip stick.

So check that valve lash again

Cyhusk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the spark plug & try again.
If the starter turns freely then your problem is the valve lash and not electrical.
I get a dozen or more every year, owners repalces the "bad " battery then the "bad " switch then the "bad" coil followed by the "bad" solenoid and $ 300 latter finally brings it in for a service and is gob smacked when I adjust the tappets & replace the rocker cover gasket ( I never reuse one ) relieve them of $ 60 and off they go, cranky for having wasted $ 300 and 10 hours of their time, suffering the inconvienence for several years because they just can't manage to read the owners manual.

I removed my spark plug and tried to start. Nothing turned over. What does that mean?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I removed my spark plug and tried to start. Nothing turned over. What does that mean?

It means you are hyjacking some one elses thread.
We have no idea what mower and engine we are trying to fix.

Cyhusk

Forum Newbie
Threads
It means you are hyjacking some one elses thread.
We have no idea what mower and engine we are trying to fix.

Which means I'm out. I'll get treated better elsewhere