Ariens/Kohler XT-7 doesn't want to start

beekeeper42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having looked at 2011 and 2012 thread postings, I can see that difficulties getting Ariens/Kohler XT-7 to start is not something new to this forum. I am hoping things have improved.

Bought new, my machine is now entering its third season. At the beginning of the second year, I had it serviced by a reputable local dealer... then serviced again at the same place (because it would not start)... and again (for the same reason). But then it ran well for the rest of the season. When it runs, it is a nice mower.

On the last run of 2012, I ran it dry and parked it for the winter. This week, I got it ready for the season by checking the oil, filling the tank with medium grade gas, looking to see that things were connected, and offering my best incantations. Then pulled the cord. And again. Etc. Then I tried Valvoline carb spray and cranked some more. Not even a hint of life. And that is where it stands.

I was interested in reading about stuck valves. Sounds like it could be the problem. Alas, the manual is gone. And the versions I have downloaded from the net say nothing about sticky valves and offer very incomplete graphics and how-to instructions. Their only advise is take it to the dealer. If I had a good idea about how to go about it, I would try doing something about the fuel valve.

I figure that if I cannot get it running soon I'll get rid of it. What a waste.

Beekeeper.

beekeeper42

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, it started. Hard to tell which action was critical, but this is what I did. 1) Cleaned everything within reach (never got a decent schematic to download), 2) added 3 oz SeaFoam to the gas, 3) an ounce or two of same to the oil... and left it sit overnight, 4) sprayed Valvoline starter on the air filter, 5) pulled the starter cord. It sputtered to life in a cloud of smoke and we never looked back. I know, I can hear some old timer's saying, "Duh!"

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A duh moment is when you have a customer, that just ran his rider earlier, but shut if off to talk to a neighbor, and can't restart it. Goes to Walmart purchases a new battery, but still won't start, so he borrows the neighbors trailer, and hauls it 20 miles to the shop to find out the he forgot to push down the clutch/brake when starting the mower.

beekeeper42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ilengine...

Indeed, that is a good and valid "Duh." OTOH, I understand that the highest level animal able to demonstrate errorless learning is the pigeon. Humbling, ain't it?

Happy mowing!

Beekeeper