Anybody know tap size for main nozzle on Walbro carb?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Anybody know tap size for main nozzle on Walbro carb?
Nope gonna, gonna try and tap it and fix it. I won't give up without a fight!

Sounds like something I would do. As for myself there times I have given up after I have take apart and put together a carburetor several times. Give it a try and good luck.

coinman66

Threads
Sounds like something I would do. As for myself there times I have given up after I have take apart and put together a carburetor several times. Give it a try and good luck.

I'm gonna try and contact Walbro for tap size info. Wish me luck!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm gonna try and contact Walbro for tap size info. Wish me luck!

If it is a special tap??? don't be shocked when you hear the price, that is if you can buy one. If It is odd size I have bought some odd tap sizes from Granger.

coinman66

Threads
If it is a special tap??? don't be shocked when you hear the price, that is if you can buy one. If It is odd size I have bought some odd tap sizes from Granger.[/QUOTE
]
I'm sure it's gonna be an odd size. But if they tell me the size, hopefully I can order one somewhere online. It would be good to keep around because I'm sure most all carbs brass emulsion tube are same diameter?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
So you have no tools to work with but you do have good common sense.

Let me tell you of some old mechanic tricks. Red Neck micrometer - If you at least have a good adjustable wrench ( cresent ) if you will, you can get real close to the diameter by adjusting the wrench snug to the threads and then without moving the wrench jaw insert feeler gauges until they fit snug within the cresent wrench jaws. Add the total of the gauges and you have the diameter in thousandths.

At the hardware store ( Ace ) find a screw that diameter and lay your threads on top of the screw threads. If they have the same pitch ( threads / inch ) the two will interlock and match perfectly. To make a Red Neck tap of that screw, file a v groove in the screw at about a 30 degree angle at the end effecting the first 3 0r 4 threads. Remove any burrs from filing and there you have a thread chasing tap to correct your screw up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you have no tools to work with but you do have good common sense.

Let me tell you of some old mechanic tricks. Red Neck micrometer - If you at least have a good adjustable wrench ( cresent ) if you will, you can get real close to the diameter by adjusting the wrench snug to the threads and then without moving the wrench jaw insert feeler gauges until they fit snug within the cresent wrench jaws. Add the total of the gauges and you have the diameter in thousandths.

At the hardware store ( Ace ) find a screw that diameter and lay your threads on top of the screw threads. If they have the same pitch ( threads / inch ) the two will interlock and match perfectly. To make a Red Neck tap of that screw, file a v groove in the screw at about a 30 degree angle at the end effecting the first 3 0r 4 threads. Remove any burrs from filing and there you have a thread chasing tap to correct your screw up.

And don't forget cutting a nut in 1/2. linishing the cut faces flat then clamp the 2 halves back on the shaft / bolt and use it to chase the damaged threads.
When you get to bigger sizes a thead chaser can go into 3 figure numbers.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The Briggs tap set was for the 2 piece flo jet carbs, they are 1/4 x 32 and 5/16 x 32 Seems like I have used the 5/16 size on walbro carbs in the past. but it could of also been a standard 5/16 x 24 or 18 thread tap. Been too many moons ago.

coinman66

Threads
The Briggs tap set was for the 2 piece flo jet carbs, they are 1/4 x 32 and 5/16 x 32 Seems like I have used the 5/16 size on walbro carbs in the past. but it could of also been a standard 5/16 x 24 or 18 thread tap. Been too many moons ago.

Ok thanks. I will look into these sizes.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Seeing its a 1/4X32 or 5/16X32 you can buy that size taps from McMaster-Carr. That is where I bought mine from.