Any John Deere 68 owners out there?

billygoat86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picking up one more next week ill upload some photos than.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Picking up one more next week ill upload some photos than.

the model 68 were a great mower in there time. The main fault I find with mine is that it doesn't turn very sharp and you can't buy some parts for the model 68 anymore. I bought mine in 1980 and bought it used at it time, still going strong.

oldyellr

Threads
Agree on the poor turning radius and parts. However, the 68 is a tough, simple machine to maintain with a hammer and a welder. :laughing:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Agree on the poor turning radius and parts. However, the 68 is a tough, simple machine to maintain with a hammer and a welder. :laughing:

I like the hammer and welder part, well true. :thumbsup:

shovelhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have a photo of the drive belt installed? I think I may be missing some parts. How many idler pulleys on the drive belt.

FieldMunky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like this is an old thread but I am a new 68 owner. I just purchased mine last night. Everything seemed good when I watched the previous owner operate the machine but when I got home, there was an issue. Every time I try to engage the mower deck fully by pushing the lever all the way forward, the engine cuts out. If I sit and hold the lever "almost" all the way down, the mower will move and cut perfectly. I didn't have a lot of time to look at it last night, and I have already thought about checking to see if there are seat / weight sensors on these old beauties? Or maybe there is an issue with a reverse sensor? I contacted the previous owner and he said he thinks the belt is too tight? I have no idea so, any suggestions would be so appreciated!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like this is an old thread but I am a new 68 owner. I just purchased mine last night. Everything seemed good when I watched the previous owner operate the machine but when I got home, there was an issue. Every time I try to engage the mower deck fully by pushing the lever all the way forward, the engine cuts out. If I sit and hold the lever "almost" all the way down, the mower will move and cut perfectly. I didn't have a lot of time to look at it last night, and I have already thought about checking to see if there are seat / weight sensors on these old beauties? Or maybe there is an issue with a reverse sensor? I contacted the previous owner and he said he thinks the belt is too tight? I have no idea so, any suggestions would be so appreciated!

My memory isn't as good any more in my older years and it been some time since I have worked on one of these old model 68's. But as I recall I don't remember any safety switches on them. The seat was mounted on top of the outer engine cover. What I do remember about them is that the engine tends over heat on warn days. Maybe someone in the pass added a seat cutout?