Any ideas?

GUNNY USMC

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to lawn tractors
Im a retired Marine and my lawn is always inspection ready. My wife calls it neurotic. To the point. I just bought a 2006 Bolens with a 15.5 hp engine and a 38" cutting deck. It also has the grass collector. I must admit I feel like I got a steal at $400. It's in great shape. So what's the first thing I did? I cut my lawn. Briliant. When I was done it looked like one of Pattons tanks had it way with my yard. That's when I opted to read the owners manual. The deck was way out of adjustment and I ordered the deck wheels. My lawn has healed and my ego is getting better. So here are my questions. Is there a way to lift the deck or the suspension by another 1/2 inch? Even a 1/4" would be great. For years I have cut my lawn with the mower set to its highest setting. With the deck of my tractor set to its highest point it's still just a little closer then I like and in some areas it's still coming close to scalping the yard. Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
If you are in fact at the highest setting, you will not be able to raise higher...
You will be left with a few options:
The easiest is plump the tires up, you can gain 1/4 inch or more by exceeding the recommended tire pressure by 10% to 15%, That's percent NOT pounds. (if your maximum tire pressure printed on the tire is 22 PSI you could go to 25 PSI)... Won't harm the tires BUT you May loose traction on your driven wheels...

The next & hardest method will require removing the spindles from the deck and mounting them above the deck with spacers... You can do that ONLY if you have clearance above the deck for the pulleys... usually there is enough for the small amount of elevation you want to gain, you will have to measure...

The most expensive way, If you have the room to do it... Next larger size tire/wheel combination.

However you go about it, keep the front of the deck Lower than the rear, that will give you the best cut. :smile:KennyV

GUNNY USMC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you big help. In the end I did read the manual and set the deck up right. Big difference just doing that. I've thought about the over sized tires and...I think my wife might not like that idea until next spring.

txzrider

Threads
Hey Gunny wecome to the site, KennyV and the others have huge amounts of experience to share. I just wanted to say hello and thanks for joining, your name brought a smile since my Dad was a marine Gunnery Sargeant who served in WWII and Korea. He has been known as "Sarge" by all his friends for all my life. He doesnt use computers, but he is always happpy to hear about another marine.

GUNNY USMC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tell your Dad SEMPER FI! I retired ten years ago and miss it every day. So here's the latest. By the way I'm one of those guys who just can't leave well enough alone. So I just finished edging, trimming and mowing. Yesterday on the way home I stopped by Lowes and found something I just had to try. The wheel kit I ordered had 5" plastic wheels. Well Lowes had 6" steel wheels with rubber tires. So I thought that's what I want. Had to get axle bolts that were a little longer but the point is, they worked. As the tractor is setting in the flat garage floor both deck wheels have a 1/4" clearance. So today I had NO SCALPING and after 25 bags of miracle grow two weeks ago (I hooked the feeder up to my sprinkler system. That's another story. ) anyway I now have the putting green I've always had. Now I just need to figure out the right pattern for the tractor. With the hand mower I did diamonds. It will just take time. Oh yes, all my friends still call me Gunny. Feel free. I do look forward to hearing from you. Gunny.

txzrider

Threads
I will Gunny, and by the way thank you for your service to our Country!

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Tell your Dad SEMPER FI! I retired ten years ago and miss it every day. So here's the latest. By the way I'm one of those guys who just can't leave well enough alone. So I just finished edging, trimming and mowing. Yesterday on the way home I stopped by Lowes and found something I just had to try. The wheel kit I ordered had 5" plastic wheels. Well Lowes had 6" steel wheels with rubber tires. So I thought that's what I want. Had to get axle bolts that were a little longer but the point is, they worked. As the tractor is setting in the flat garage floor both deck wheels have a 1/4" clearance. So today I had NO SCALPING and after 25 bags of miracle grow two weeks ago (I hooked the feeder up to my sprinkler system. That's another story. ) anyway I now have the putting green I've always had. Now I just need to figure out the right pattern for the tractor. With the hand mower I did diamonds. It will just take time. Oh yes, all my friends still call me Gunny. Feel free. I do look forward to hearing from you. Gunny.

I will Gunny, and by the way thank you for your service to our Country!

I like the sound of thoes wheels and and yes thanks for your service by the way if you would like to join our groups that may Titus like the leaf blowers group trimmer group and so much more :thumbsup::biggrin:

Threads