Anti scalp wheels making noise

wolf lake

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a new 226v Grasshopper this year with a 60" deck. the mower only has 10 hours on it and it make strange noise that I think is coming from the anti scalp center roller. Has anyone else had this issue?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mower off, roll the wheels with your hand. Do they make the same noise?

Or are you hearing hydro pump noises?

wolf lake

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes, it will make a similar sound when rolling with my hand. not hydro pumps.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes, it will make a similar sound when rolling with my hand. not hydro pumps.
So what do you think that is telling you? Not trying to be difficult. Just a learning experience. Might need new wheels or bearings if it has them? Little dry lube maybe?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are your anti-scalp rollers in constant contact with the ground? They should not be. Those rollers are not designed for supporting the deck. Move all of the anti-scalp rollers to the top holes in the mounting brackets. Add some lithium spray lube to the pins at the rollers.

Last edited:

wolf lake

Forum Newbie
Threads
So what do you think that is telling you? Not trying to be difficult. Just a learning experience. Might need new wheels or bearings if it has them? Little dry lube maybe?
Sir, I just thought I was posting to a site where Grasshopper owners may have had the same problem with a new mower and possible had an easy fix. thanks for your wisdom.

wolf lake

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are your anti-scalp rollers in constant contact with the ground? They should not be. Those rollers are not designed for supporting the deck. Move all of the anti-scalp rollers to the top holes in the mounting brackets. Add some lithium spray lube to the pins at the rollers.
The lithium spray lube sounds like a plan. Thanks for you response.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sir, I just thought I was posting to a site where Grasshopper owners may have had the same problem with a new mower and possible had an easy fix. thanks for your wisdom.
You got all I had so enjoy your day.

wolf lake

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update; it seems that the anti-scalp wheel was spinning too freely. Added washers on each side to add friction, slowing it down and noise when away.