Am I installing this correctly? FS481V-AS14-R Help

Lui_5793

Threads
I have a 2011 John Deere WG32A that as 120-140 hours on it. My dad does landscaping full time and I help part -time since I work full time somewhere else. He " decommissioned" this mower due to it having issues and a local Deere dealership not knowing how to fix it. Well, here I am wanting to fix it with what knowledge I have, and this is what I found. I originally thought it was the carb due to it 'running away' and for sitting for a long period of time for the gas to go bad, so I installed a new carb but the issue is still there. I can see that the linkage for throttle to governor arm is not fully sitting on low idle adjustment screw when engine is running. At this point, I notice governor arm is hitting exhaust pipe below it so that could explain it. I bent the arm a bit and retested but it still does not seem responsive when moving throttle from high to low. If I hold the governor up, allowing it to touch the set screw, it runs fine at low idle but then once I let off, it goes to high idle. Maybe I have the wrong return spring and linkage and that's what a buddy of mine had commented as well. Engine sounds good but just this issue is what Im stock on, The engine model is FS481V-AS14-R, If anyone has this exact engine or similar, pleas send me pictures of how the linkages look so I know Im doing this right. Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds about right after the local JD dealer tech couldn't even find a bad spark plug.

It may a governor issue.

First try doing the static governor adjustment and test.

1702478502604.png

Lui_5793

Threads
Sounds about right after the local JD dealer tech couldn't even find a bad spark plug.

It may a governor issue.

First try doing the static governor adjustment and test.

View attachment 67457
And thats what I was thinking it could be but since its okay when I manually hold the governor to reach low idle speeds, it sounds fine. I have already adjusted the governor but I will try again and see it that does anything. Another thing I notice is that the hole where the throttle rod goes into the throttle valve, its too big and the throttle rod can come out at any given time so i don't know if there should be a bracket of some kind to hold rod in place. It hasn't come out when I constantly move the throttle from high to low but it may in the future when mowing and a bump could knock it out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Although it not show on the IPL I think you are missing the MIU12442 (Kaw PN 13280-7004) link holder as the picture of hte throttle linkage show a 90 degree bent end for the carburetor connection. But this just a guess as it been a while since seen this engine in my shop.
1702481027934.png

Lui_5793

Threads
Although it not show on the IPL I think you are missing the MIU12442 (Kaw PN 13280-7004) link holder as the picture of hte throttle linkage show a 90 degree bent end for the carburetor connection. But this just a guess as it been a while since seen this engine in my shop.
View attachment 67458
I have seen a John Deere 636M that has the same 603cc engine (not the same model) and it does not have a rod holder but it still concerns me that the rod is not being held by anything. I will try this and see if it fits, Im also going to order a new governor arm and linkages to make sure those are correct while doing the governor adjustment.

woodstover

Threads
And thats what I was thinking it could be but since its okay when I manually hold the governor to reach low idle speeds, it sounds fine. I have already adjusted the governor but I will try again and see it that does anything. Another thing I notice is that the hole where the throttle rod goes into the throttle valve, its too big and the throttle rod can come out at any given time so i don't know if there should be a bracket of some kind to hold rod in place. It hasn't come out when I constantly move the throttle from high to low but it may in the future when mowing and a bump could knock it out.
Link spring C is what keeps throttle rod from falling out.

Lui_5793

Threads
  • / Am I installing this correctly? FS481V-AS14-R Help
Sorry for being gone for so long but I ended up finding out what the issue was.
So, I had the mower in my shed and was wondering why the linkages would not fit. I have seen online the parts diagram of the intake and noticed a small detail that made me wonder about the intake. The control panel for the governor/throttle/choke has a hole that looks like it is used to support the panel besides being bolted to the carb. Intake manifold has a mold on it that stretches out and is threaded, which indicated something is supposed to be bolted to it, but the problem was that this molding was on the opposite side of where the panel was located at. I figured out that the intake was installed incorrectly, removed it, turned it a full 180 degrees, reinstalled and was able to bolt the panel on and install the linkages properly. Everything has worked fine ever since.