aiensb1640 won't start

poloman

Threads
Thought battery was dead and replaced it. Now mower makes a lttle clicking here and there but won't turn over. Can you help me diagnose it?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
What engine?
Known Ariens it will be kawasaki so possible starter solenoid.

poloman

Threads
pugaltitude said:
What engine?
Known Ariens it will be kawasaki so possible starter solenoid.

Briggs and Stratton

poloman

Threads
pugaltitude said:
Whats your model, type and code of engine.
The more details you provide the more help you will get.

Mfd 2004
Intek 16. OHV
Model 31H777.0110E1
Code 040128ZD

Old battery was weak. I ran it down trying to start it in short bursts. Didn't take long. Engine turned over but no start. Took bat out and charged it. Replaced and now wouldn't turn over. Replaced battery with a new one and same behavior.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be starter solenoid or could be decompressor on camshaft.
Take the spark plug out.
Does the engine turnover?
If it does could be decomp. If it does not it could be solenoid.
Also when you remove the spark plug, does any fluid come out?

poloman

Threads
pugaltitude said:
Could be starter solenoid or could be decompressor on camshaft.
Take the spark plug out.
Does the engine turnover?
If it does could be decomp. If it does not it could be solenoid.
Also when you remove the spark plug, does any fluid come out?

Will not turn over when I remove spark plug. Acts the same. No fluid... Battery voltage is 12.69 and bat is new.

poloman

Threads
Looks like starter solenoid. Voltage across coil of solenoid on key start. No click. Coil resistance good, solenoid stuck. Agree? Where is best place midwest for parts?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like starter solenoid. Voltage across coil of solenoid on key start. No click. Coil resistance good, solenoid stuck. Agree? Where is best place midwest for parts?

Yes sounds like solenoid.
Turn key to on position (not start). Make sure all safety switches are in normal position.
Jump the 2 big wires on solenoid (1 from battery and 1 from starter) with a pair of pliers.
Engine should turnover and start.
The reason for the fluid was in case your cylinder had filled up with petrol and engine had hydrauliced.

poloman

Threads
pugaltitude said:
Yes sounds like solenoid.
Turn key to on position (not start). Make sure all safety switches are in normal position.
Jump the 2 big wires on solenoid (1 from battery and 1 from starter) with a pair of pliers.
Engine should turnover and start.
The reason for the fluid was in case your cylinder had filled up with petrol and engine had hydrauliced.

Yup! Started right up. Thank you very much for your excellent help! I know about the possibility of fuel getting into the crankcase so always leave the fuel off. I ran through the service manual electrical tests for good measure and because this mower is new to me. You sure nailed it...