aggravating problem-tractor won't stop up hill only

RJL1

Threads
A few weekends ago I broke the drivebelt on our 42" 18.5 HP tractor. Its a gear driven unit. Model 917.275631. Anyway I replaced the drivebelt, mower belt, blades and both mandrels. The mandrels were worn down where you attach the blade, causing a bit of a wobble. Since then I have a very interesting problem. While mowing uphill the tractor won't stop. I depress the brake fully and it just keeps going. If I'm on level ground or downhill, no problem. I have noticed there is more play in the brake pedal then what I remember before and it does take a bit longer to stop on level and downhill runs. I'm convinced this is some type of adjustment. I haven't been able to find anything in the manual. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the rigth hand side to the gearbox you should find a brake wheel. There is a nut there which needs to be tightened to engage the brake tighter.

Cody.H

Threads
I could be that the belt you bought is the wrong size or that when you are going up hill one of the pulleys are not disengaging keeping the belt tight. Hope this helps.

RoperGuy

Threads
Did you have to disassemble the clutch/linkage/return spring at all? New belts sometimes can be a bit sticky, double check that you have purchased the right size belt

RJL1

Threads
Thanks for the help so far. I bought the belt directly from sears with the correct part number as per the manual. Hopefully they didn't give me the wrong one. I'm gonna tear into it again next weekend. It's just weird to me that it only acts up when going uphill. I can actually see the brake/clutch pedal release on it's own as I go uphill. Strange.

RJL1

Threads
Just wanted to update this issue in case anyone else is having the same problem. It turned out that 2 of my transmission brackets were broken, causing the trans to slide back and keep pressure on the belt while driving uphill. Did my last cut of the year last weekend and the tractor finally gave up. Kept popping out of 3rd gear and when I was almost finished, literally had three more passes in the backyard the blade engagement knob just quit on me. Oh well, new tractor in the spring for me. Not sure what to get.

Bob