Age old question, Winter Storage?

doug9694

Threads
Live in SW Virginia with a 4 month moderately cold winter and I keep my Cub Cadet 42 tractor in a shed with a push Honda mower. The tractor battery stays in tact but I do keep it connected to a battery tender.
Is it better to complete run the engines dry of fuel (with an empty tank) or, as I have read elsewhere, fill the tanks with conditioned fuel to minimize any possible condensation?
The Honda push mower has a fuel shut off valve ( as does my Honda generator) however the tractor does not, in case any of that matters? Thanks
I only use ethanol free gasoline and I always add stabilizer. Last year I left the lawn tractor with an almost full fuel tank and it started right up in the spring but not sure if that’s the best thing to do?
I have had people bring in mowers that refused to start in the spring due to too much stabilizer. So follow directions! Dry carbs tend to flood the engine in the spring. So keep doing what you have been doing.

MarineBob

Threads
Actually ethanol gas is a problem if your power lawn equipment or automobiles have steel fuel lines or gas tanks if you own older equipment. Modern equipment and automobiles have plastic gas tanks and stainless steel tubing or rubber fuel lines to almost nullify the affects alcohol in ethanol of the fuel system creating rust which will cause havoc in carburetors. Let’s say that if you own a 1975 vehicle and you use ethanol fuel you will eventually have rust in the fuel system because of the steel gas tank and fuel lines. I only use ethanol free fuel in my lawn equipment and add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to each of my 2.5 gallon fuel container all year. Before filling the fuel containers, I flush at least five gallons of the fuel feed nozzle of possible ethanol in the pickup line into my truck fuel tank, just to make sure that I will be getting ethanol free gas. Modern gas stations that sell ethanol free gas use station pumps that dispense both ethanol and ethanol free gas, thus the flushing of the fuel nozzle of all ethanol into my truck fuel tank.
On a side note MarineBob, we’re you an F-4 pilot or EWO/Bombadier?
We crayon eaters were MOS 758X as RIO's (Radar Intercept Officer). General designation was NFO. Naval Flight Offiicer

edporch

Threads
I live in central Indiana.
As far as gasoline goes, since I began using ethanol free gasoline (E0) in my lawn equipment, I just put it away at the end of the season with gasoline still in the tank.
When spring comes, my stuff always starts right up without problem.

I connect a "Battery Tender" to the battery on my Grasshopper, and it also starts right up with no problem.

TobyU

Threads
As Slomo said, if you run them dry you will end up with rubber Parts like fuel lines cracking earlier than you should and you will need a carburetor repair earlier from the needle and seat not shutting off and flooding out or migrating fuel over into your crankcase so the answer is no! Running them dry is not the best thing to do.
On a riding mower of the size you're mentioning and for a four to five month layout you really don't have to do much of anything because it's just not long enough and it holds enough fuel and passages in the carburetor are large enough that it won't make much difference but it's still best to fill them up with fresh fuel and if you're going to do that you might as well have that fuel be stabilized.
Now with the Honda mower it's much more important. The fuel shut off means nothing overall other than the fact you can shut it off and let it run for a minute or so until it actually dies out and you've got most of you out of there quickly.
Let me explain why this works better than someone just leaving a haphazard amount of gas in there or running them to what they think is dry from the fuel tank.
The problem with fuel is that is always in a process of evaporation and it always leaves crap behind nowadays.
So the problem is the more you have to evaporate the more it leaves. It's kind of like reducing something down on my stove and if you take raspberries or blueberries and do that you will see what starts out decently ends up being a gummy nasty mess by the time you're done. You certainly wouldn't want that inside your fuel system or carburetor yet I have found things that look just like that in the bowl of a carburetor like a mahogany colored sticky syrupy mess.

So when you run the tank dry until it stalls it still has more fuel in there and in the fuel line and then by the time you move it back around and it gets shaking All around they're just ends up being more fuel in the carburetor too evaporate down like this. When you shut off the fuel valve you're able to get rid of the vast majority of it right then and the small amount left probably won't leave enough of a concoction created problem and as soon as you turn the valve back on the deluge the fuel going in there will probably send everything out just fine.

But let's not forget that until the new overhead valve engines took over from the EPA law changing at the end of 2015 in the US, Hondas were the most finicky engine you can find.

On any smaller engine like that like on a push mower, generator. Pressure washer, tiller, log splitter, snowblower... At the bare minimum you should go by fresh gas the last time you're going to use the piece of equipment before you put it away and fill it full with fresh fuel and then when you're done top it off because that starts the clock from that day with fresh gas.
The much better thing and what I feel is the best thing to do is to add 1 oz of stabilizer for each gallon of fuel you're going to buy to an empty gas can a day as you go to the station to buy fresh gas.
Then get your gas so you're now have 1 oz of stabilizer to every gallon of fuel for instance if you're using sta-bil then go home and fill that equipment to the top of the tank and run it the whole time you need to use it and then when you're done top it off again and walk away from it.
With a Honda it doesn't matter to me whether you then turn the valve off or not but there is no reason to turn the valve off and let it run until it dies with this fresh stabilized fuel in there because the stuff is going to stay cleaner with that fresh gas keeping everything covered as opposed to the oxidation that starts to occur and the coating it starts to occur on the float when you drain the fuel off of those surfaces

Last edited:

Beesnweeds

Threads
I use non ethanol and Star Tron fuel treatment. I'm in the north east and never have a problem. Everything fires right up in the spring. Snow blower starts right up in the winter after sitting all summer and fall.

Majestor

Forum Newbie
Threads
We crayon eaters were MOS 758X as RIO's (Radar Intercept Officer). General designation was NFO. Naval Flight Offiicer
Thank you for your service sir, I was in Nam 69-70.

MarineBob

Threads
I was toolate for that fun in the sun. '74-81, mostly in Beaufort and WestPac tour

Rickcin

Threads
As Slomo said, if you run them dry you will end up with rubber Parts like fuel lines cracking earlier than you should and you will need a carburetor repair earlier from the needle and seat not shutting off and flooding out or migrating fuel over into your crankcase so the answer is no! Running them dry is not the best thing to do.
On a riding mower of the size you're mentioning and for a four to five month layout you really don't have to do much of anything because it's just not long enough and it holds enough fuel and passages in the carburetor are large enough that it won't make much difference but it's still best to fill them up with fresh fuel and if you're going to do that you might as well have that fuel be stabilized.
Now with the Honda mower it's much more important. The fuel shut off means nothing overall other than the fact you can shut it off and let it run for a minute or so until it actually dies out and you've got most of you out of there quickly.
Let me explain why this works better than someone just leaving a haphazard amount of gas in there or running them to what they think is dry from the fuel tank.
The problem with fuel is that is always in a process of evaporation and it always leaves crap behind nowadays.
So the problem is the more you have to evaporate the more it leaves. It's kind of like reducing something down on my stove and if you take raspberries or blueberries and do that you will see what starts out decently ends up being a gummy nasty mess by the time you're done. You certainly wouldn't want that inside your fuel system or carburetor yet I have found things that look just like that in the bowl of a carburetor like a mahogany colored sticky syrupy mess.

So when you run the tank dry until it stalls it still has more fuel in there and in the fuel line and then by the time you move it back around and it gets shaking All around they're just ends up being more fuel in the carburetor too evaporate down like this. When you shut off the fuel valve you're able to get rid of the vast majority of it right then and the small amount left probably won't leave enough of a concoction created problem and as soon as you turn the valve back on the deluge the fuel going in there will probably send everything out just fine.

But let's not forget that until the new overhead valve engines took over from the EPA law changing at the end of 2015 in the US, Hondas were the most finicky engine you can find.

On any smaller engine like that like on a push mower, generator. Pressure washer, tiller, log splitter, snowblower... At the bare minimum you should go by fresh gas the last time you're going to use the piece of equipment before you put it away and fill it full with fresh fuel and then when you're done top it off because that starts the clock from that day with fresh gas.
The much better thing and what I feel is the best thing to do is to add 1 oz of stabilizer for each gallon of fuel you're going to buy to an empty gas can a day as you go to the station to buy fresh gas.
Then get your gas so you're now have 1 oz of stabilizer to every gallon of fuel for instance if you're using sta-bil then go home and fill that equipment to the top of the tank and run it the whole time you need to use it and then when you're done top it off again and walk away from it.
With a Honda it doesn't matter to me whether you then turn the valve off or not but there is no reason to turn the valve off and let it run until it dies with this fresh stabilized fuel in there because the stuff is going to stay cleaner with that fresh gas keeping everything covered as opposed to the oxidation that starts to occur and the coating it starts to occur on the float when you drain the fuel off of those surfaces
Great information and it really makes a whole lot of sense and explained well, thank you!

Every gas can I fill, I add STA-BIL that day so I don’t have to think about if the gas has been stabilize.
I also put a piece of blue tape on each can with the date of when the gas was purchase.
I’m definitely an over thinker but I do enjoy knowing how to properly maintain everything that we own including our vehicle, yes I’m anal about certain things🤓

PGB1

Threads
One could do like my next door neighbors do:
Leave the mower, blower, trimmer and edger exactly where you used them last because it's too much trouble to put them in the shed or garage.

When next needed, take the tools to the repair shop. Upon return, dump in the ancient gasoline that has been in the can since Fred Flintstone filled it. Return them to the repair shop. Repeat.

Next season, after being buried in the snow, buy all new stuff. Year after year! Someone has to keep the landfills full and the Chinese economy going.

Paul
PS: The local repair shop guy told me once "They bought me my Lexus."

Moparjoe499

Threads
Live in SW Virginia with a 4 month moderately cold winter and I keep my Cub Cadet 42 tractor in a shed with a push Honda mower. The tractor battery stays in tact but I do keep it connected to a battery tender.
Is it better to complete run the engines dry of fuel (with an empty tank) or, as I have read elsewhere, fill the tanks with conditioned fuel to minimize any possible condensation?
The Honda push mower has a fuel shut off valve ( as does my Honda generator) however the tractor does not, in case any of that matters? Thanks
Just leave the fuel in. It won't hurt anything. I had a snowblower that I have not used in 6 years. I got it started in 4 pulls.