Age old question, Winter Storage?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sta-bil has a limited shelf life.. I think 2 years & it then begins to get sticky in gas tanks etc.. I don't use it.

But agree better to have gas in & the lines hold up better.. I only use 100% non- ethanol gas.. Almost 10 years on my edger & blower on the OE lines.

Rickcin

Threads
Sta-bil has a limited shelf life.. I think 2 years & it then begins to get sticky in gas tanks etc.. I don't use it.

But agree better to have gas in & the lines hold up better.. I only use 100% non- ethanol gas.. Almost 10 years on my edger & blower on the OE lines.
So the consensus is to use fresh non ethanol fuel with stabilized and the engine should be fine sitting for 4 months?

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the consensus is to use fresh non ethanol fuel with stabilized and the engine should be fine sitting for 4 months?
I don't know about the consensus, but this works for my stuff.. And I use Seafoam, if I use anything. It doesn't go bad.

Stabil does. IIRC it has expiration date on it as well.

Rickcin

Threads
I don't know about the consensus, but this works for my stuff.. And I use Seafoam, if I use anything. It doesn't go bad.

Stabil does. IIRC it has expiration date on it as well.
So Seafoam is a stabilizer or essentially does the same thing as Stabil?

Firespooks

Forum Newbie
Threads
So just closing the valve and running it dry is best?
I wanted a fuel valve but not confident to cut one in, concerned with having a leak!
I installed my own fuel valve. very easy. I from Chicago, so I completely fill my fuel tank along with stabilizer. Then I shut off the fuel valve. Start the tractor until it dies out and remember to shut the key off. I’ve been a mechanic for over 40 years .

MarineBob

Threads
Full disclosure. I have no concerns about rebuilding, cleaning carbs etc so.............. I got some years behind me here in New England, Cold winters, no heated garage. My mowers, snow blower, lawn tractor, never did much of anything to winterize. I will admit, a few years ago I did start to dump a shot or two of StaBil stuff into the gas but for decades I never did that. I have never had an issue with any of my 'toys.' My logic is no equipment really sits for all that long......mower, Oct to March or April.... Snow blower, March to ...... November? December? I suppose if you are not going to run something for a year or two the fuel will become an issue but for a few months I have never had a problem. I know a lot of people who have shops come and pick up their stuff to do 'maintenance.' With pick up and delivery, hundreds of dollars. For what? Likely unneeded plug change? ($5), oil change? ($5-10) Blade sharpened? ( 15 minutes of work?) I understand you got to pay for time, but geesh.... ask someone, buy a wrench, learn how to do basic maintenance yourself. I suppose I am off on a tangent but it seems very few people can do anything for themselves which is way more than a financial issue. And people are crazy about ethanol gas. I agree I'd rather not have it , it caused the cost of a good steak to go up (no corn to feed the cattle) but life goes on

iaff801

Forum Newbie
Threads
I no longer run ethanol pump gas in any of my machines. Although I can't purchase ethanol free in CT, I only have to drive 40 minutes to buy it at a pump in upper New York. I bought a 14 gallon tote with a pump handle on Amazon. I go there twice a year. That's all I run, no Sta-bil. Never have a problem. I find that gas with Sta-bil still breaks down, just after a longer period of time.

Gebo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve had my Honda Rider since 1998. I’ve always used non ethanol 92+ octane with Amsoil stabilizer year round. I’ve never run it dry or turned off the fuel since 1998. I have never had any problem with carb, fuel lines, gumming up , etc It is stored in a basement garage. I’ve never used a battery tender and my batteries last about 7 years. I guess I’m just lucky???

X580

Threads
Long-term storage depends on finding out which fuel preservative is really best.
And discovering that old fuels can indeed be restored to refinery freshness!

Have you ever wondered how to store gasoline, diesel and kerosene long term without any of these fuels going bad.

Did you know you can store these fuels for up to five years at very little cost?

While using only one treatment of the right preservative
?

Although STA-BIL is probably the most recognized name in fuel storage, it tied for fourth place in this comparison with Yamalube Fuel Additive.

(NOTE: if you read both articles one learns alls StaBil does is create a “film” across the top of the fuel in whatever container or tank it’s in. StaBil does NOT / physically can NOT actually MIX with the fuel. As soon as the container or tank is jostled, the film is broken and any effect is lost. PRI-G (actually a REFINERY industry FUEL REFRESHER!!!!!!!) and SeaFoam chemically MIX WITH FUELS!)

We live - and raise turf, and mow, and small engine to extremes - on the water; one bottle treats 512 gal.s of fuel and each quart lasts us 18-24 months. Other than our daily driver pickup and suv, ETHANOL NEVER GOES IN ANY ENGINE ON OUR RANCH … NEVER!!!!!!

Another worthy mention article (in our six-figure‘s worth of boats and jet skis - and the wife’s all original ‘66 GTO - we use BOTH PRI-G AND Sea Foam!)

Attachments

• IMG_5777.jpeg
    IMG_5777.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: