Aftermarket spindle kit

BohoRex

Threads
I've got an old Snapper LT125 ( 2690808 - 42" deck) - and am looking for a spindle kit (housing with the shaft & bearings all assembled already - as a drop-in replacement)

I have the.pdf manual/parts list for my mower - and found the individual part numbers - but most other brands I'm finding aftermarket drop-in kits as an assembly. Any ideas on a spindle kit / assembly for this Snapper?

I suppose I can simply disassemble and replace the bearings themselves if a full drop-in replacement isn't available or made as an aftermarket item.

Bertrrr

Threads
Unless the spindle housing is damaged , the bearings are very cheap and easy to change. Pull it apart and look at the number on the bearing - I usually pull the inner seal on the bearings and drill the housing to enable greasing the assembly. I think I got 3 pairs on amazon for under 20$

BohoRex

Threads
Thanks, I'll do that. Need to pull the blades to sharpen, anyway.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well the bearings are 66/19.06 2RS [.750 x 1.78 x .610]. Very few sources for the sealed version other than Briggs but the OP can use Z9504RST metal shielded version but it is recommended adding a grease zerk to each spindle so these can be re-greased later. And with these Z9504RST you do not have to remove the inner shields.

BohoRex

Threads
Well the bearings are 66/19.06 2RS [.750 x 1.78 x .610]. Very few sources for the sealed version other than Briggs but the OP can use Z9504RST metal shielded version but it is recommended adding a grease zerk to each spindle so these can be re-greased later. And with these Z9504RST you do not have to remove the inner shields.
Thank you. The spindles do already have grease zerks. I just pulled the blades - and one of the spindle washers was completely broken, and the other was cracked. Time for some R&R maintenance.

BohoRex

Threads
Spindle nuts... That's why these don't get enough maintenance.

Bottom one for the blades came off fine (probably 90 ft lbs to loosen) - but how are y'all holding the spindle shaft or pulley to loosen that top spindle nut?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231113-124434.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113-124434.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 3

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually you should remove the pulley nut first and then the blade. This way you can block the blade to help removing the nuts/screws.

BohoRex

Threads
Use an impact and you can hold it easily with a rag or gloves

Sprayed some PB Blaster on it - used some heat on the nut.... more PB Blaster...

Impact & rag/gloves just spun in my hands. I used a pair of vice-grips to hold the pulley (figure I'll replace the pulley if I destroy it trying to remove that nut) and that nut wouldn't budge. Put my 6' breaker bar onto it - and it just laughs at me.

I think a 1200lb gorilla must have tightened those nuts onto the shafts.

BohoRex

Threads
Actually you should remove the pulley nut first and then the blade. This way you can block the blade to help removing the nuts/screws.
I'll try that. See my other reply I just made for some entertainment value. lol