Advice: Rebuild or replace 3HP for Broyhill sprayer

duckpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_1880.jpgHi,

I'm looking for advice to either rebuild or replace this 3HP motor. Was told it needs work but would prefer to keep it original to this Broyhill sprayer from the 60s/70s. Carb and gas tank were removed by a friend who thought he could get it started and couldn't, and then proceeded to lose both. Would also like to know if anyone has ever seen this pump before.

Thanks, Brian

charlie50

Threads
View attachment 40019Hi,

I'm looking for advice to either rebuild or replace this 3HP motor. Was told it needs work but would prefer to keep it original to this Broyhill sprayer from the 60s/70s. Carb and gas tank were removed by a friend who thought he could get it started and couldn't, and then proceeded to lose both. Would also like to know if anyone has ever seen this pump before.

Thanks, Brian

just from what ive seen in the past .. its probably gonna be cheaper to replace the motor with an Chinese Honda copy . The predator line over at harbor freight should bolt right up to it . you'll just need to check shaft size and mounting hole pattern .

SidecarFlip

Threads
I put a small Pred (99 bucks) on a sprayer I had that the engine was toast on. Been just fine for 3 years now.

charlie50

Threads
I put a small Pred (99 bucks) on a sprayer I had that the engine was toast on. Been just fine for 3 years now.

perfect ! ....I used to put the 7 hp one's on the old style manco go-kart frames. works great .

Threads
IMHO I would redo the 3 HP Briggs ......... So easy to work on and fewer parts than the HF predators.......

I do those often.......

SidecarFlip

Threads
IMHO I would redo the 3 HP Briggs ......... So easy to work on and fewer parts than the HF predators.......

I do those often.......

For the asking price of the little Pred---99 bucks everyday. pretty hard to spend the time and funds rebuilding the Briggs. The Pred is a more efficient engine, overhead valve versus a side valve Briggs anyway.

What got me started on Predator motors was... I have a Cub Cadet RT tiller (the one with the dual direction tines) and it came with a Honda GC motor that was a POS right from the get go. Well, about 20 hours into it's life it decided to throw a rod so I contacted American Honda and they told me the GC motor was considered a 'throw away' motor and they weren't going to replace it so I bought a 6.5 horse Pred to replace the blown Honda. Been on there ever since (3 years), no problem and I got it for basically 1/3rd the price of a new Honda.

Been told (don't know if it's true or not) that the Pred motors are made by Lifan and I do know that Lifan made Honda motors and Yamaha motors at one time and may still.

duckpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Has anyone seen that pump, though?? I can't seem to figure out if there is supposed to be something on the front.

charlie50

Threads
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Has anyone seen that pump, though?? I can't seem to figure out if there is supposed to be something on the front.
Just judging by your pic ,, looks like the carb and fuel tank are missing . if your missing any of that . it will be crazy expensive to repair . The pump looks to missing a grease cover .

duckpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Advice: Rebuild or replace 3HP for Broyhill sprayer
Just judging by your pic ,, looks like the carb and fuel tank are missing . if your missing any of that . it will be crazy expensive to repair . The pump looks to missing a grease cover .

Correct, both the fuel tank and carb are missing. A friend's son asked if he could take a look at it, and while he knows his small engines he's also very scatterbrained and thus lost both.

duckpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Advice: Rebuild or replace 3HP for Broyhill sprayer
I am going to be looking for a new engine. I am fairly new to small engines and there is a comparable B+S near me on Craigslist, but it is a 2 HP. Would it not make sense to go less? Should I be looking for 3 HP and up to run this?

Here are some more pictures before the engine was taken apart. Where would I be able to find a grease cover?

https://flic.kr/p/LV8inJ
https://flic.kr/p/M2PnZh
https://flic.kr/p/LV8hWy
https://flic.kr/p/LDbVML

Thanks for your advice. This is challenging to me because I cannot find another one of these anywhere. I've reached out to Broyhill to see if they can help as well but I most likely won't hear from them until at least Tuesday.

Brian