Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / advice please ... kohler 15 hp engine drains battery then shuts off
I agree with that.

jetrail

Threads
but here is what confuses me . the tractor should still put out a charge right ??. i started servicing the tractor about 2yrs ago so i know the battery is at least two yrs old . but maybe im wrong but even if i stuck a dead bad battery in a riding mower and jump started it wouldnt it stay running because it keeps trying to constantly charge to the battery ?? i thought because the tractor seems to put out no charge the issue would be with the tractor but i could be wrong

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your mower is in Maryland and I am in NY. This is just a guessing game that seems to jump all over the place. First we are talking about a battery that drains, then bad battery's. I was just saying have your battery checked before replacing it. If your battery is going dead then the tractor sets do a draw test which I told you how to do earlier. Yes a short in a bad battery will drain its self also. You might want to look at some repair manuals to help you diagnose your problem. They will walk you right through it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have to start somewhere, have your battery checked. You ask more help, but then instead of following our suggestions, you question our answers. As reynoldston said we are not there to see your unit. You haven't even posted any engine or unit model and serial numbers. Kohler makes many different types of 15 HP engines we don't even know the type of unit you have, for all I know it is a cement mixer. If the battery is good, you are going to be looking for a dead short draining the battery. That short could be anywhere. It may be a short between the charging circuit and the run circuit, which will drain the battery and kill the engine. This is not as simple as black and white. That being said, I am bowing out of this one, as you don't like my answers anyway. Bye.

jetrail

Threads
its not i didnt like or appreciate anyones answers i just always thought the charging system on the engine would keep the motor running . i havent gotten back to the tractor to pull the battery ect . i do appreciate the help and advice ect . im gonna pull the battery in the next day or so and ill charge and test it . ive always thought if the engine was putting out a charge it would keep the motor running so thats why i asked thats all

jetrail

Threads
i found the info on the mower its a craftsman mod 917.273130 sn 052203a016692
the kohler is a cv490-27508 . im going to pull the battery tomorrow and charge and have tested . ill go from there.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
its not i didnt like or appreciate anyones answers i just always thought the charging system on the engine would keep the motor running . i havent gotten back to the tractor to pull the battery ect . i do appreciate the help and advice ect . im gonna pull the battery in the next day or so and ill charge and test it . ive always thought if the engine was putting out a charge it would keep the motor running so thats why i asked thats all

You are talking about two completely systems. Your engine runs off the mag and your battery charges off the stator. The mag is on the out side of your flywheel and the charging system is in the inside. One of your test should be is always isolate your chassis and engine so you know what you are looking for. You are thinking about a car which runs off the battery. Like I said earlier get your self a repair manual and it will walk you through it. You started with why is the battery drawing itself down to not running which is two different things because you shouldn't need a battery for the mower to run.

jetrail

Threads
im gonna look for the manual but that is what confused me as well is this tractor will draw the battery down so low to under a volt then shut its self off . i thought once you got the motor running the coil would keep it running . thats what confused me . im going to take my test light and try to find the short like you suggested . thanks

jetrail

Threads
ok here is the update . i took a new battery over because i have two other tractors that need batteries so i figured id put the new one in and test it with the multimeter . i did and it isnt charging the battery at all . so there is def something wrong with the charging system . i pulled the flywheel and the charging thing under neath it was caked in dust mice nest ect . i cleaned it all off and out and put it all back together and still not charging ....

RussellTP

Threads
Replace the new charging system stator.:thumbsup: