Adventures of my 1980 Lawn-Boy 7268

Threads
So I am going to make a forum post about what I am currently working on with my 7268. I'm not really mechanically inclined so much, so sometimes I don't know what I'm doing, lol.

Anyway, This thread is about the Lawnboy I got for free. It ran and cut the lawn, but seemed prone to flooding after a while. Also, it seemed too quiet, like the muffler was clogged or something.

I got her home, and attempted to sharpen the blade. I discovered a hole in the blade (posted a thread about it) and was informed it should be replaced immediately. I still have yet to order a blade. If someone knows a good source, by all means let me know.

Anyway, after removing the blade, I was having trouble getting the blade adapter off. It was really stuck on there. I went out and bought a gear puller and eventually got the POS off, but ruined the adapter in the process.

I then proceeded to remove the muffler. It was filthy underneath. I then proceeded to roast the muffler on the grill and burn out the carbon. It will need a repaint.

Since that was off, I was cleaning off the heavy 1/8in carbon buildup under neath the engine where the muffler goes. It was really bad. I basically had to chizel and chip it off the metal. After that I kept spraying it with carb cleaner and rubbed a wire brush on it. Just cleaned that up and the bottom of the deck for now. I am waiting on parts. I plan on cleaning the carb out, so I ordered some gaskets, needle and seat, along with the blade adapter. I would like to get this thing looking a little presentable, but not sure If I want to fully tear it down to clean it. Maybe I'll see how good I can get it running before I rip it all apart to make it look nice.

Main shot of Mower:

5712d1335464941-adventures-my-1980-lawn-boy-7268-img_1407-jpg

Under Deck:
5713d1335464941-adventures-my-1980-lawn-boy-7268-underdeck-jpg

5714d1335464941-adventures-my-1980-lawn-boy-7268-undermuff-jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 100
  • underdeck.jpg
    underdeck.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 102
  • undermuff.jpg
    undermuff.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 103
Threads
Here's a shot of the bent blade adapter and the gear puller I used.

attachment.php

Attachments

• smallapater.jpg
    smallapater.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 107
Threads
Finally installed the new blade adapter I got on ebay. Quality isn't as good as the original. It's thinner and cheaper, but whatever.

Painted the exhaust with some high temp paint. Also bought a new blade $26!!! and installed it. Cuts pretty good. Doesn't mulch as good as my Toro though.

Still seems to flood once it's shut off. Still waiting on some carb parts. Starting to cost me a pretty penny. But it pushes and cuts so nice.

Attachments

• noblad.jpg
    noblad.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 12
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 16
Threads
The blade was a Oregon 92-011. High quality and thick.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Finally installed the new blade adapter I got on ebay. Quality isn't as good as the original. It's thinner and cheaper, but whatever.

Painted the exhaust with some high temp paint. Also bought a new blade $26!!! and installed it. Cuts pretty good. Doesn't mulch as good as my Toro though.

Still seems to flood once it's shut off. Still waiting on some carb parts. Starting to cost me a pretty penny. But it pushes and cuts so nice.

I'm a bit surprised that there's more than one blade adapter available. It's a shame to make something like that out of thinner metal just to save a few pennies. :thumbdown:

About the "flooding": it's probably some malfunction of the float.

Thanks for the photos.

Threads
Thanks for the advice .I will work on the carb next. Starts fine at first, then after its turned off it doesn't wanna start again and gas comes out of air filter.

Anyway, the new blade adapter said Thailand on the bag for this curious.

I may remove the blade stiffener. I didn't know what that was at first.

The muffler does sound better now, must have been clogged for sure.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the advice .I will work on the carb next. Starts fine at first, then after its turned off it doesn't wanna start again and gas comes out of air filter.

Anyway, the new blade adapter said Thailand on the bag for this curious.

I may remove the blade stiffener. I didn't know what that was at first.

The muffler does sound better now, must have been clogged for sure.

That's almost certainly a float/float valve problem.

Where are you in Alabama? I've got a place about 10 miles north of I-20 in Cleburne County right at the GA/AL border.

Threads
Actually in WI...Alabama must have been the default location, never bothered to correct it. :eek:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually in WI...Alabama must have been the default location, never bothered to correct it. :eek:

Yeah, Alabama is first in the alphabet.

You actually live in better Lawn-Boy hunting country -- closer to the factories where they were made. :cool:

Threads
Finally got around to cleaning the carb out on her. I preordered some gaskets in case they were trash. But, the stupid needle and seat I ordered still hasn't arrived! Still waiting on that. Wiped up a bunch of grease under the engine. Gave her a slight rub down.

Kinda upset I can't put it back together today, since I wanted to see if the new needle help with the gas coming out of the air filter issue.

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 20
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 21