Adding snorkel?

Eddles

Threads
I have a Flymo L400 mower with a Tecumseh TC300 engine. Before buying this, I noticed a few mowers had a snorkel, and I had no idea why they had one. After a couple goes on the L400, I quickly understood why there was a need for a snorkel.

So, is it possible to add on a snorkel to this engine? I know I could just stick on a flexible tube and duct tape it, but I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't understand what you are talking about, snorkel? The only thing that I know of that uses snorkels are ATV's so they can run them in deep water. So why would you need something like this a lawn mower? :confused2:

Eddles

Threads
That was exactly my thought when I first saw snorkels on a mower! The reason is that my mower does not have a grass collector, and the air filter on my mower is very close to the ground, so it picks up a lot of grass. Every time after I use the mower, I have to remove the air filter, clean it out and put it back in. Examples of what I mean are this, this and this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Victa, the worlds best push mower,( sings Advance Australia fair in head, stands up & salutes the flag ) worked out that mowers need to pull air from up the top of the handle bars way back in 1956 and have been doin so since then which is why their engines run for 50+ years with very little problems.
Honda have just finally cottoned on and now do snorkels as standard fitment to the commercial range.
In fact all Australian made mowers with Australian engines have snorkels fitted.

So go ahead and fit one, best thing you can do for your mower.
Just check the plug as the snorkel does restrict air flow which can cause the engine to run a little rich.
Honda used to do a snorkel accessory which always came with a warning about jets but having fitted 30 or so Victa snorkels to Hondas I have never found one that was so rich it needed new jets.
Caveat is that they all did run a little rich, not enough to be a problem but enough to take them outside EPA regulations.
The Honda kit is $ 120 down here which is why I use the Victa one $ 20 second hand.
Best is to fit a filter at the top of the tube and whatever you do, do not run a filter at both the top & bottom or you will be runnig rich.
Convoluted tubing works better as it is less likely to crush and flexes with the mower.
Swimming pool filter tube should work really well is you can not find any handy tube.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That was exactly my thought when I first saw snorkels on a mower! The reason is that my mower does not have a grass collector, and the air filter on my mower is very close to the ground, so it picks up a lot of grass. Every time after I use the mower, I have to remove the air filter, clean it out and put it back in. Examples of what I mean are this, this and this.

I do see what you are talking about, just never seen one over here in the states or a reason for a snorkel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it is a bit of a rort.
OTOH it does mean I get lots of call outs for "black smoke coming out of my mower and it is running very slow".
So I show them how to clean out the pre filter, book in a servoce for latter on and don't charge a call out so get a life long customer who thinks I am great even more so when he finds out the place he bought it from charged some one else $ 90 to come out & do the same thing.

It is staggering.
I do annual services on B & S engines and they are just about choked closed.
Honda's are even worse. Some have so much crud in there you have to pry the filter out .
I have never had to replace a Victa ( or Rover or Super Swift or Greenfields ) air filter because it was dirty, ever.
Usually they get so many spider webs in there , red backs primarily , that the dirt & grass stuck in the web is all that needs to be removed.
Done some mowers 30 years old still with perfect original air filters.
They do get replaced as part of a 10 year service along with the 5 "O" rings ,fuel lines & cut out boot.
That will keep the power torque running well for another 10 years.

Here is what we used o get down here
Tecumseh.jpg Sprint.jpg Commercial.jpg Standard.jpg

The filter sits in the cylinder up the top

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would think its the location where you live. Here in upper NY we live by a large fresh water lake Ontario. I do change air filters yearly but they are far from plugged. Even filters that never get changed are never plugged. We just don't get that much much dust in the air. Then winter equipment like snow blowers don't have any air filters at all.

Pumper54

Threads
I like the idea of adding the snorkel to my riders, when I cut the fields at my farm the ground is very dusty under the grass and it seems we are stopping to clean and or replace the air filters two or more times a day. I can see how raising the air intake higher up might help. Time to do some figuring.
Tom

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't be surprised if snorkels appear in the Houston area with the word BILL on them.:laughing: