Add charging dongle to HRX2174VLA?

cprstn54

Threads
For my year (MAGA-2267762) Honda provides a charger that requires you to remove the battery cover, remove the battery connector and attach the charging connector.

I would just like to splice in a dongle with an SAE connector that exits the battery box and to which I can connect a permanent 13.2V float (not trickle) charger.

Do I need to add a rectifier into the small red wire to prevent the dongle current from running down into the charging circuit?

Also, what is the typical charging voltage and will the rectifier's 0.3V drop significantly interfere with charging?

Ken C

cprstn54

Threads
I am the OP. I just realized that there there is no need for a rectifier because there is one already there: otherwise the battery would discharge into the charging coil when the mower was not running.

So, I will simply splice an SAE charging dongle into the wires running into the battery connector.

I find that putting a $5 Harbor Freight float charger (13.2V) on my SLA batteries adds a year or two to the battery life, not to mention that the batteries are always near full charge.

Ken C