A fuel delivery system-related problem with my Toro Titan MX 6080 zero-turn mower

gbin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / A fuel delivery system-related problem with my Toro Titan MX 6080 zero-turn mower
My machine is a Toro Titan MX6080 zero-turn mower with a 60” deck. It was included when I bought my property last winter, so I don’t know its history except that it was bought new in 2013 and was obviously poorly maintained thereafter; when I went to get it ready for use this spring I found that it had 180 hours on it, the oil was black sludge (probably never changed), the air filter was almost as black, the belts were notched and frayed, and the blades were not only dull but also bent and split. After I cleaned everything up it ran great for me for 20 hours or so before the problem first appeared.

The problem started a few weeks ago. I’d be about 30 minutes into my mowing session when the engine would suddenly start to wane and surge, especially but not exclusively when going through taller or wetter grass (i.e. heavier load on engine). If I just stopped mowing but left the mower blade running it would go RRRRR (normal speed)-rrrrr-RRRRR-rrrrr… maybe a dozen times before it would resume normal operation and I’d go on with my mowing until it happened again several minutes later. If I tried to keep mowing while it was having the issue it would stall out and I’d have to restart it. Once it started doing this it would do it more frequently thereafter until I was done with mowing for that day. It occurred to me to try loosening the gas cap when a bout of the waning and surging began but that didn't have any effect.

Then on a subsequent outing it got to the point where I would have to turn the mower blades off and sit and listen to the engine go RRRRR-rrrrr-RRRRR-rrrrr… maybe 20 times before it would smooth out and I could turn the mower blades back on and get back to mowing for several more minutes before it happened again. If I didn’t turn the mower blades off it would stall out.

More recently it got to the point where I would have to pull the choke a little ways out for a bit to smooth it out and keep it running, even if I turned the mower blades off right away. And it started happening so frequently that after about the first 20 minutes of mowing I’d spend nearly as much time sitting in place listening to the engine wane and surge as I did actually mowing.

Now, this morning, it started behaving this way more or less as soon as I started mowing (albeit some admittedly tall, wet grass), before the engine had even really warmed up. I think it’s now to point where the mower is essentially useless.

If I’m just traveling on the mower but don’t have the blade running (i.e. lightest possible load) it hasn’t shown the problem at all.

Yesterday I called the only repair shop anywhere near my modestly remote location. They said that they could arrange to come get it – I don’t know how quickly – and that after it arrived at their shop they’d “add it to the queue” – meaning it would be AT LEAST 2½ weeks after that point before they’d even look at it, and then of course they’d have to repair it and get it back to me at some point after that. I can’t imagine how long my grass would be by the time they got it back to me! And I have an awful lot of grass, literally several acres of it! And my wife’s family is coming soon to see our new home for the first time!

I’m game to tackle the problem myself, but I have very little mechanical knowledge (all self-taught and last used many years ago). All the repair shop told me was what I already figured. It has something to do with the fuel delivery system; they’d have to have it in hand to figure out exactly what. They talked about ethanol in fuel, and I do buy such gas, but the manual says that it’s OK and I add Mechanic-In-A-Bottle to every gallon, besides; they said ethanol can cause water problems, nonetheless. They said if there’s water in the carburetor then it will need to be taken apart (but if that’s the case then why would the problem come and go, and not affect the engine if the mowing blades aren’t being used?). They mentioned the fuel filter and at least one or two other things that went right by me. NONE of my mechanical experience has ever involved fuel delivery system issues; I’d probably recognize a carburetor if someone showed me one, but I’ve never done anything with one.

But if anyone can offer clear, detailed instructions on how I can diagnose and repair my machine, I’ll give it a go. At this point I really don’t know what else to do.

Sorry to make you read through all that, but I wanted to make sure I fully described the situation. Thanks for your time, in any event!

Gerry

gbin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / A fuel delivery system-related problem with my Toro Titan MX 6080 zero-turn mower
Someone suggested by PM that I should state what engine my mower has, in case that's important to anyone's advice... It's a 24 hp Kawasaki 726cc.

That suggestion came with some well-meant and much appreciated advice, but unfortunately it was advice that I can't make use of as stated. I'm afraid I just can't emphasize strongly enough how ignorant I am of engine mechanics, and how much I need simple, clear instructions to overcome said ignorance. (At least I'm fairly competent when it comes to following such instructions. :ashamed: ) If someone thinks the problem might be the carburetor, for example, I really need some good instructions first on how to test for that (surely there are ways?) and then on how to proceed if the test is positive. Likewise dealing with the fuel line, the blade control system (whatever that is), or whatever.

I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth - but a gift horse is only a burden to someone who is too ignorant to care for or make use of it properly. I wouldn't dream of trying to diagnose and repair my mower myself if I wasn't desperate, and desperate or no I wouldn't dream of taking a wrench to it without some pretty detailed guidance, first.

Thanks again!

Gerry

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would change the fuel filter and get a bottle of gumout injection cleaner that you add to the gas. Let the mower run for a while. I use the high mileage cleaner.
I have had good luck with this on mowers that have sat up.
I always do this before I go the take the carb apart route.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The problem you have is called surging.
It happens because the ratio of fuel to air is too low as the throttle opens wider to let more fuel in.
So the govenor closes down the throttle , revs pick up, engine run out of fuel , slows down.
And this caries on at infinitum.
There are 3 causes, listed in order of popularity.
1) clogged fuel lines / carb
2) air leak after the carb
3) faulty govenor

You can eliminate the last one by starting the engine, leave the throttle at slow, apply the parking brake then walk around to the back of the mower.
Look at the carb and you will see a lever close to the engine with a rod that goes down to a lever which is clamped to a shaft that comes out of the engine.
This lever is called the govenor arm and should be connected to the throttle control by a spring.
If you push the govenor arm slowly & gently with your finger the engine should accelerate.
If when you push this lever in the engine accelerates smoothly and will hold speed without surging ( rRr ) then the govenor mechanism is at fault.

To test for No 2 you put some WD 40 or similar in a trigger pack, NOT A SPRAY CAN and with the engine set about 1/2 speed flood the area between the carb and the engine with the WD 40 .
If the engine changes speed , belches black smoke etc , you have an air leak that is thinning the mix.
The propellant in spray cans is highly flamiable which is why you must use a trigger pack as singed eyebrows are no longer in fashion.

That brings you to the most likely suspect.
The almost works test is to close the choke a little if you have a seperate control for the choke.
If not try to partially block off the air intake, tennis ball, stiff cardboard etc etc.
Set the throttle to a position where the engine is surging then start blocking off the air intake.
If the engine can be made to run smoothly with a partial blocked off air supply then the carb is not delivering enough fuel for the amount of air that is being feed into the engine.
That can be a blockage in the carb, or in the fuel system before the carb all the way back to the fuel tank.

While it is not good to run the engine with a partially blocked off intake, if you can find a spot where the engine will run sweetly then you can, in a pinch mow carefully and slowly, enough to stop the outlaws linching you when they make the inspection.
Then when the pressure is off we can guide you step by step through fuel system cleaning.

gbin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestion, Cars! I hope to do at least a bit to diagnose the problem before applying a treatment, but I'll definitely keep the Gumout idea in mind.

bert, your advice is clear, informative and persuasive - and much appreciated! The thing I'm wondering, though, is how to apply your tests given that the mower has only shown its problem when the blades are running; the safety cutoff will turn the machine off if I try to get up out of the seat while the blades are running, and even if it didn't (or if I put a weight in the seat to take my place) I'd be pretty reluctant to be poking around the machine with them running. Also, just to make sure I didn't confuse anyone: the problem has always appeared when I've been at full throttle because that's where it's set when I'm mowing, but I've tried fooling with the throttle to see if it has any effect once the problem shows up and it hasn't. Similarly fooling with the choke is what showed me that the choke does have an effect; pulling it out a bit for a short period seems to help but doesn't completely overcome the problem.

Doesn't the fact that the problem only appears when the blades are running, and that even then it only comes and goes (albeit with increasing frequency) suggest anything particular?

Gerry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is good enough.
Did not know if you had separate choke control.
So that tends towards fuel supply problem and from the original description I lean towards a blocked main jet in the carb or blocked fuel filter
I can send you some service information but to do that I need to know which engine you have .
The engine will have a number somewhere starting with an F.
The fuel filter is easy, if you have not already replaced it do it now.
It will be a cylinder held onto the fuel line with some spring clips, generally located between the fuel pump & the carb

gbin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, I even have a spare fuel filter on hand, as I expected I might need to change it to get the mower started this spring (see above for my description of how its previous owners left it) but it turned out that I didn't. I'll try that as soon as I can. And I'll post that F number ASAP, too, but at this point it won't be until tomorrow morning.

Sounds like Cars' Gumout suggestion is more and more warranted, as well. Again, that's an easy thing to try.

Added by edit: Is there reason to believe the Gumout might do something that the Mechanic-In-A-Bottle that I regularly add to the gas didn't? If so, how much Gumout should I use?

The first of my in-laws arrive today. Fortunately they won't be coming any closer than 1 1/2 hours away until later in the week (as I said, we're kind of remote), but it makes it harder for me to devote time to getting the mower running again, not to mention using it. I do love them - heck, I even LIKE them, and had been really looking forward to their visit - but the timing isn't the best. I suppose I should just try to relax and enjoy their company even if the property doesn't look its best.

Gerry

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found that the gumout high mileage works better then anything else. I over kill and use half a bottle in 2 gallons of gas.
Only cost around $4.00

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I tried Mechanic in a bottle mainly because the rep talked me into it.
Usually I do not like putting any addative into fuel or oil.
It did actually make the engines run smoother & start better.
However it wore off on the first refill and my customers are not stupid.
I deliver the mower and it works better then ever the first week, then goes back to beng a bit Ho Hum next time, they smell a rat.