A Couple Questions - TVS115 57603C

Spaxz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a Tecumseh TVS115 57603C engine on an Ariens 911064 lawn mower. I am unable to get the cable/linkage working that shuts the mower off when the handle is disengaged on the mower handle bar.
Looking at the attached pictures, I'm not sure if I have it installed correctly. I also noticed when taking the cowling off, there is a spring that is not hooked to anything on either end. When I engage the handle, the cable does not seem long enough to pull the linkage and shut the mower off and the linkage also does not seem to have "spring" to go back to it's regular state when the handle is disengaged. I have also adjusted the cable on the handle end with no luck.

Do I have the cable connected properly to the linkage?
Also, should the spring in the attached picture be connected to something on both ends?

Linkage.jpg
Spring.jpg

One other question. On the attached picture is a shot of the air intake which comes from the air cleaner. I washed off thick oil/dirt from this area so I'm wondering if this piece has a seal where it connects to the engine that could be leaking oil out.
Air Intake.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cable is hooked to the correct place, but the Z needs to be in the hole so the cable runs in a straight line. The tab that the cable is connected to is bent which is why the cable isn't working correctly. the spring is the return spring for the flywheel brake. It think the connection points are under the flywheel for it. the breather is a rubber insert that over times tends to get brittle and crack which causes the leak.

Spaxz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. Can you elaborate on the "Z" being in the hole to run in a straight line. I'm not sure what that means exactly.
Also I will need to pull the flywheel off to attach the spring. Does the bolt require to be torqued to a certain specification? if so what would that be?

One other question I had, the pull rope has broke. Will any generic pull rope work from a hardware store or does it have to be Ariens specific? I'm thinking in terms of correct length. I also don't seem to see a rope listed on any Ariens parts look up.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
if you remove the flywheel the nut is torques to 450 in/lb on aluminum flywheels and 550 in/lb on cast iron. The first part of the Z goes through the hole not the whole thing. the cable just hooks into the hole in other words.

any generic starter rope will work. Most call for a #4 or #4 1/2 rope. You will have to figure out what length you need.

Spaxz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed the nut to pull the flywheel off but it seems to be on tight and won't move. It is aluminum and I am afraid of breaking it. Any suggestions on removing with damaging it.

One other issue I'm struggling with, the cable seems to be too long. I think that was part of my issue before was with the cable routed improperly causing too much slack. For the life of me I can't seem to find a good place to route it to allow proper handle/linkage operation.
Any suggestions on this as well?

image.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You could have a cable length issue to resolve. As far as removing the flywheel. put the nut back on loosely, and strike the end of the crankshaft with a hammer while prying up on the flywheel. should pop loose.

peteco

Threads
I removed the nut to pull the flywheel off but it seems to be on tight and won't move. It is aluminum and I am afraid of breaking it. Any suggestions on removing with damaging it.

One other issue I'm struggling with, the cable seems to be too long. I think that was part of my issue before was with the cable routed improperly causing too much slack. For the life of me I can't seem to find a good place to route it to allow proper handle/linkage operation.
Any suggestions on this as well?

View attachment 22306

You don`t have to remove the flywheel, the rigth way is in you tube. Watch this trick "the nail in the hole" it works nice, and here you can see the spring linkage too.
https://www.google.com.uy/url?sa=t&...XW51jyN_B1NvNK9Ag&sig2=gAOGYjwX-lUXY48avHewUw
i hope it help you

Spaxz

Forum Newbie
Threads
That did the trick Peteco!! I was unable to get the flywheel loose after trying Ilengine's suggestion.
I was also able to re-attach the spring and this seemed to fix the cable length issue by putting tension on the linkage and cable.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions guys.