A brutally honest review of my Raptor

RetiredGuns

Threads
I purchased a 42" Raptor last spring for $2500 with a military discount. I mowed a 1/2 acre of flat land for about 5 months and it was flawless. I used to own the 1/2 acre next to me as well, but sold it a few years back. The new owner defaulted and let it go. It was cut by the county 2 times a year after it was about 2 feet tall. I decided to attack it with my Raptor in between county cuttings. The 42" is NOT meant to cut 2 foot weeds! The chute clogged with wet, tall weeds. No surprise there. Now the bad part, the land was full of ruts, ditches, bumps, hills, etc.. I was bounced around like a bull rider. Still no problem for a good while, but at the very end of the season I noticed one of the EZTs was leaking a little fluid. I took it back to the dealer and they determined a seal went bad. Hustler replaced the entire hydro under warranty as expected. 2 things I learned, Hustler has great CS & don't push a mower beyond what it is intended for. Should a seal blow? Might happen on any of the hydros, but next year I won't be cutting that crappy land....

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I purchased a 42" Raptor last spring for $2500 with a military discount. I mowed a 1/2 acre of flat land for about 5 months and it was flawless. I used to own the 1/2 acre next to me as well, but sold it a few years back. The new owner defaulted and let it go. It was cut by the county 2 times a year after it was about 2 feet tall. I decided to attack it with my Raptor in between county cuttings. The 42" is NOT meant to cut 2 foot weeds! The chute clogged with wet, tall weeds. No surprise there. Now the bad part, the land was full of ruts, ditches, bumps, hills, etc.. I was bounced around like a bull rider. Still no problem for a good while, but at the very end of the season I noticed one of the EZTs was leaking a little fluid. I took it back to the dealer and they determined a seal went bad. Hustler replaced the entire hydro under warranty as expected. 2 things I learned, Hustler has great CS & don't push a mower beyond what it is intended for. Should a seal blow? Might happen on any of the hydros, but next year I won't be cutting that crappy land....

Good post, tough machine, wise decision on your part. Steve you may have this information, I'll post it anyway, Have a safe HAPPY NEW YEAR!Manuals

Skid Shear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like you found the Raptor's limit. Reckon one of the other models would have handled it better?

RetiredGuns

Threads
Sounds like you found the Raptor's limit. Reckon one of the other models would have handled it better?

Not sure as it turned out to be a seal. I thought worse when I first saw it leaking. The main reason I will not cut the vacant land anymore is the terrain. Without suspension of any kind it is just too uncomfortable and beats up me and my mower. The other reason is the deck is certainly not meant to cut 2 foot weeds as the outlet is way too small. As far as cutting my own land, it was pure pleasure all season. Made mowing way less mundane and almost fun.