917.271635 LT1000 craftsman 16.5hp briggs and stratton

TinyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 917.271635 LT1000 craftsman 16.5hp briggs and stratton
hello if anyone can help would be great... mower running fine no issues.. ran over a tarp mower died would not start.. replaced safety switches, batter, starter, solenoid.. tested key switch
on testing the solenoid
power side 12 volts
white wire 12 volts when trying to start
black wire circuit good
starter side nothing.. got 12 volt once with a big click ..
also to note the amp meter does not seem to work
I used a car battery directly jumped the starter and mower ran fine for over 1 hour .. turned it off would not start again. i am guessing running over the tarp shorted something not sure what
maybe a ground? if anyone had a similar experience may know what to do next

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kinda sounds like the starter solenoid failed. Also I check the main fuse just in case it blew.

1696336893007.png

Last edited:

Cusser

Threads
I'm wondering if a piece of tarp got stuck in the belt drive system somehow.....thus preventing engine from turning

Forest#2

Threads
Are you saying you can use a car battery directly to the starter terminal and it will crank and start????
AND the NEW solenoid you installed clicks but the engine don't crank (spin to start) using the mower battery????
Have you trie3d using the car battery again???

Do You have a DC voltemter?

TinyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi thanks for the replies
when I ran over the tarp within a second the engine died. I just pulled the tarp back out. It wasnt like crazy entangled. There were only a couple of extra pieces that had been torn away.
The belt system works fine. I removed the deck everything looks fine and works.
Yes i disconnect the solenoid wire from starter and jumped the starter directly from car .. it ran and cut grass for over an hour no issues. I am on this mower every weekend it ran no problems mechanically I think is fine. The new solenoid you can sometimes hear faint clicking but I used DC voltmeter and the is no DC power on the starter side of solenoid. Only once
I got 12 volts and at the same time a big click with the mower battery. I can only start by jumping with car battery directly connected to the starter .. cannot jump through the mower battery.

TinyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm wondering if a piece of tarp got stuck in the belt drive system somehow.....thus preventing engine from turning
Kinda sounds like the starter solenoid failed. Also I check the main fuse just in case it blew.

View attachment 66908
hello thanks for the info. and diagram. the fuse is good. I replaced the solenoid does not seem to be the problem. I tested the old solenoid with a battery outside of the mower it seems to work ok. I went out and bought parts thinking they would fix the problem.. solenoid, safety switches, starter, battery.. but nothing worked. Maybe when the tarped got sucked up it shorted something in the wiring? I dont know.

Forest#2

Threads
See what the voltage reads on the battery side of the solenoid when you get the click and report. take the reading right on the solenoid stud, not the cable connector.

The tarp smothered/sucked the life out of the mower!!!!!!!!!!

TinyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
See what the voltage reads on the battery side of the solenoid when you get the click and report. take the reading right on the solenoid stud, not the cable connector.

it sure did
the 4 posts on the solenoid
to the batter

it sure did.. thank you for asking me to check the solenoid... as i did i noticed the the white and black wires were not connected. i connected started right up which means it was the battery.

thank you to everyones advise and help saved me alot of time

Forest#2

Threads
So the NEW solenoid that you installed did not have the control wires connected?
So the click that we assumed was the NEW starter was maybe the faint click of the fuel solenoid, maybe?

Taking voltage readings rather than trying to see electric can really help sometimes.

TinyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello thanks for the advise.. in testing the new solenoid voltage readings I forgot to connect the two wires after back after installing the new battery.
the fuel solenoid was a noticable click on the that side of the engine i tried not to confuse it with possible solenoid sounds. Now that i think back after mower not starting with new battery a couple of times trying i just walked away and found this forum on the internet. I had bought the new battery after taking out the starter and trying to jump directly with mower battery, nothing , but then it started with car battery.