8 hp Tecumseh Snow King nonworking starter + mystery wire

rattus

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 8 hp Tecumseh Snow King nonworking starter + mystery wire
Hi all, first post...

We've been afflicted by our first medium snow of the year (around 12"), and I discovered the snowblower that started fine in September when I serviced it (oil, plug) simply doesn't do so now. It's a 120V electric start model; no response whatsoever when I press the magic button.

Looking around the engine, I saw a detached wire that I hadn't noticed before, and thought that it *may* be the source of the problem. Looking through the online service manuals hasn't helped me. The wire is a single yellow wire in a black sheath and has an odd connector on the end with two plastic prongs that look like they latch to a receptacle. The red arrow points at the wire in the picture below. It doesn't have a lot of reach, but I'm at a loss as to where it attaches.

The blower is an MTD/Yard Machines 8/24 vintage 1996 and has been stone axe reliable until today. I'm thinking that the wire has something to do with starting, but where does it plug in?

And yes, I tried to start it with the recoil starter, but threw out my back after about an hour of attempts. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• mystery_wire.jpg
    mystery_wire.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 8 hp Tecumseh Snow King nonworking starter + mystery wire
Hi Mike & WELCOME to LMF...

That wire looks like it may bee for a charging system... and was most likely never hooked to anything. If you had a 12 volt starter instead of the 120 volt, that wire would plug into a voltage regulator...

The electric starter is a simple 120 volt drive motor .... check the power cord and switch including any lock out mechanical devices that may keep the starter from activating... :smile:KennyV