6.5HP B&S won't stay running

IndyDude

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled the Craftsman mower out from a crawl space where it has been resting for a good 4 years. It looks like it is really good shape.

I first took the carb off and clean it up real good. There was a varnish coating on the bottom of the float.
I tested the float mechanism and could blow air through the fuel intake when the float was down and could not when the float was in the upright position.After getting it put back together, the sucker started on the very first pull.
It died right after it burned off the fuel that had been squirted by the primer.
Each time I prime it, it will start, but then die right after that fuel burns off.
The only way it will continue to run is if I continually prime it.

Do I have a clog somewhere I'm not aware of?

IndyDude

Forum Newbie
Threads
26450d1433637056-6-5hp-b-s-wont-stay-running-20150606_194944-jpg
20150606_194944.jpg

Alrighty then...this thing was bugging the heck out of me, as this is one of the simplest carbs around. I tested everything and it functions as designed.
I couldn't just wait around for an answer, so I pulled that sucker back off and looked it over, made sure air could flow easily.
I looked at the mount for the carb to ensure I had a good seal with the o-ring and that is when I discovered that the fuel port to the combustion chamber was busted in half.
No wonder it wasn't getting fuel...

It's drying after an epoxy job, so since it's getting dark, I'll throw this puppy back on in the morning and get my mower running like it's supposed to.