520h electrical question

bsblhater

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi new to this forum as we speak. iam working on my uncles 520 h and his voltage regulator is getting between 25 and 40 volts ac on the ouside terminals of the regulater but when i check the center lead of the regulator i put the positive lead of my vom on that lead and the negative lead of the vom on the battery neg terminal and iam getting a neg 6v output from the regulator. if i reverse the polarity of the meter leads i get a pos 6 volts. do i assume that the regulator is bad. also the ammeter is not working. i replaced this a couple of years ago and the tractor was charging . now he is having problems again and i found a couple of wires in the big molex plug fried pretty good so i pulled them from the plug and butt spliced them. now iam thinking he needs to buy another regulator. to me it seems that the exhaust is putting to much heat on the electrical connection and could have been the culprit that started this whole mess. i suggested that he fab up a heat shield between the muffler and the electrical connections. the fuse box is also in that high heat area. has anyone had this same problem. he bought this tractor new in 90 and i bought mine new in 93 and have never had a issue with it other then buying a new electric clutch and spindles for the deck.
well i hope to here some feedback as i have a lot to talk about and am currently trying to find all the electrical info and wiring diagrams i can on it.
thanks
jim.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum.