5 hp briggs won't spark

makromer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have an old 5 hp briggs. Will not fire. Spark tester shows spark. Will not spark a plug. Have tried numerous plugs. replaced points and condenser. WTH?? Help

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What kind of spark tester are you using. If using the blink style tester they can give fault positives. And the last 10 sets of points I tried to install ended with me replacing the coil itself with the new electronic coils and did away with the points.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What kind of spark tester are you using. If using the blink style tester they can give fault positives. And the last 10 sets of points I tried to install ended with me replacing the coil itself with the new electronic coils and did away with the points.
Agreed. That's another reason I use a PET-4000.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will concede to Slomo on this one
A globe type spark tester has a very low resistance so will glow at a very low voltage
So if the coil is only putting out 500 V then you will get a flash from a globe type
However to jump the spark plug gap you need 30,000 V
So if you get a flash from the tester when directly shorted to the block but not when it is connected to a spark plug then you know the trigger unit is working ( points in your case ) but the coil output is too low so the windings are faulty or the HT lead has too much resistance
IF you are using a resistor plug it will usually not work properly in a points ignition.

Forest#2

Threads
What model engine.
Some of them old Briggs can be converted to the Magnetron ignition, no points.
Just mount the magneto and don't look back.

makromer

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is an OLD Briggs. What coil should I get. I actually wondered about low voltage. Thanks for your help

makromer

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is a 130902. Is there an updated coil for it? If so, which one? Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
397358 should be the electronic conversion

Threads
Are the Points gapped correctly?
If so more than likely your coil is bad.
Electronic conversion may be the way to unless you can get a point type coil for cheaper.