425 pto will not fully engage.

planefxr

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a John Deere 425 mower that is just giving me fits! i was mowing my grass when i noticed that my mower was not cutting that well(some of the grass was not being cut). i took it over to the shop and pulled the switch to engage the mower when i found that the blades were not spinning up fully. so i tuned up the engine (new air filter,plugs, and fuel filter) to make sure it was not the engine just running poorly. so with the engine running great same thing, mower will not fully spin up. so i figured it was the pto clutch, so i pulled the trans-axle removed the pto clutch and found that the needle bearing that goes on the end of the input shaft that rides in a short shaft in the pto clutch was completely destroyed, and it had ruined the end of the input shaft and that short shaft in the pto clutch as well. so i got a new input shaft, pto clutch shaft, and bearing. installed it put it all back together and same thing! so instead of pulling it apart again and replacing the pto clutch i thought i would ask here to see if anyone had something that im missing. thanks of the help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be 2 PTO clutches.
One in the tractor
One in the implement
This is SOP for most shaft PTOs.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Isn't there some kind of static test for lock up and break away? LIke put the PTO in a simple fixture , apply 12 volts and take a torque reading at slippage? Just an idea ?? Also a current check with a VOM at run. The forum has already suggested 10-12 amps typical at engagement. I suppose the test wire hookup would be a little tricky, but....

planefxr

Forum Newbie
Threads
when ahead and took out the pto clutch and found that the clutch discs were shot. i should have known better, just cuz you find one problem dose not mean there is not another. i should have inspected all my parts be for i reinstalled them. thanks for the help