42 inch riding mower (1742) won’t crank

2002sheds

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

Well, I received no more responses to my questions, and so I kept asking around and searching online until I found the answer myself. The camshaft on this motor is no longer available, but the spring can be removed and is available as a separate, $2 part.

I am posting this in case someone stumbles across this thread and is as mystified as I was. I hope this helps!

Thanks,
David

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hi All,

Well, I received no more responses to my questions, and so I kept asking around and searching online until I found the answer myself. The camshaft on this motor is no longer available, but the spring can be removed and is available as a separate, $2 part.

I am posting this in case someone stumbles across this thread and is as mystified as I was. I hope this helps!

Thanks,
David
The answer on how to check to see if the compression release is working was given, in this thread. You rotate the engine by hand very slowly, and watch the intake and exhaust valves as they go through the four strokes. You are looking for “the bump” of when the valve just moves slightly up and down, in addition to the normal movement. Could be the intake and could be the exhaust, depending upon the engine. If there is no additional “bump”, then compression release mechanism on camshaft is broken. Aftermarket camshafts for this engine my be available.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
With 500 hrs on a home owner battery it's time for a new battery and by al means clean the battery cable ends of oxidation until you see the metal shine .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The answer on how to check to see if the compression release is working was given, in this thread. You rotate the engine by hand very slowly, and watch the intake and exhaust valves as they go through the four strokes. You are looking for “the bump” of when the valve just moves slightly up and down, in addition to the normal movement. Could be the intake and could be the exhaust, depending upon the engine. If there is no additional “bump”, then compression release mechanism on camshaft is broken. Aftermarket camshafts for this engine my be available.
It will be the valve closest to the cam gear which in this case it is the exhaust valve.

Last edited:

Skippydiesel

Threads
If cranking speed is slow/laboured (even with a new starter) try improving the (-) ground /earth return by using a jump cable between (-) battery ground/earth and anywhere you can get a good connection on the engine.

!2 Volt systems are notorious for developing (corrosion/loose connection) a poor (-) ground/earth return. Clean ALL your earth return connections, making sure they are tight.

I do not rely on the earth return through chassis/body and install a dedicated earth return on all my own machines, running from battery (-) to any suitable point on the engine (usually a engine securing bolt) and rarely have electrical problems.

mcHarley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

I have a Scotts-branded 1742 riding mower made by John Deere. About 500 hours on the machine.

Typically, it is difficult to get the mower started in the Spring after sitting all winter. A few times the issue was solved with a new carburetor, but this time it is a different problem…
I cannot get the mower to turn over for very long at all (like 5 seconds). I have removed the spark plug and turned the flywheel by hand, I’ve replaced the battery, solenoid and starter and I have connected a battery charger/starter with only a small difference in how long the motor will crank before (seemingly) wiping out the battery’s amperage.
I also tested the ignition switch, which tested okay, and I made certain that the ground strap had a good, clean connection to the frame, as well as at the battery. And I even stuck a borescope into the cylinder and found no scoring or anything else unusual.
At one point, I was able to crank the motor for an extended period of time before shutting it off — like 15 seconds or so. The spark plug was still out, as I was simply trying to find ANY scenario in which the engine turned over. Since then, I have only had one instance where the motor turns for more than 3 or 4 seconds before giving out, stranding the Bendix gear in the up position…

Any hints as to why it is so hard to crank this motor over will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David
I also think, could be an valve issue, check also if the flywheel key isn't broken (timing issue.)

Keithpeb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have just had a similar problem with my 3 year old mountfield ride on mower. It has stayed outside since purchase. Went to it for first cut, no click or anything. Long story short, starter motor had rusted fairly solidly so pre engage not moving either. Turned it bit by bit with a screwdriver to get it moving and its now free and running no problem. Access was by removing the tor fan/engine cowl. Yours maybe the same, worth a look before you cover the floor with mower bits.
Regards
KeithP

lefty2cox

Threads
Do we know if the OP has done a voltage drop test at the starter?