318 with Onan 218P starter not catching flywheel

brinkkl2000

Threads
My next project is the 318 and the starter (brand new) is kicking out, but it just hits the flywheel. Unless the teeth happen to line up, then it kicks out and fires right up. I feel like the Bendix should be kicking out and spinning just enough to catch the ring gear. All the teeth look fine, voltages are all good, same model starter that came off. I have seen people suggest shimming it, but the way it is installed, shimming it would move the starter closer to the flywheel and I don't think that would make it any better. Serial of the tractor is 486XXX, so I think that is within the break that uses the starter with the piggybacked solenoid.

mjb8fj

Threads
My next project is the 318 and the starter (brand new) is kicking out, but it just hits the flywheel. Unless the teeth happen to line up, then it kicks out and fires right up. I feel like the Bendix should be kicking out and spinning just enough to catch the ring gear. All the teeth look fine, voltages are all good, same model starter that came off. I have seen people suggest shimming it, but the way it is installed, shimming it would move the starter closer to the flywheel and I don't think that would make it any better. Serial of the tractor is 486XXX, so I think that is within the break that uses the starter with the piggybacked solenoid.

Try cleaning the lands and grooves of the gear. Sometimes there is just enough drag to not let it engage. Or, see if there is a local starter repair site around you. There is one I took a few starters to, most of the time it was free to get looked at. One was around $40 that they rebuilt for me.

brinkkl2000

Threads
Thank you for the reply. I think I figured it out though. I added a simple 5 pin relay in to the starting circuit, and so far it hasn't missed once. I was measuring the voltage at the solenoid with the key in the start position and it was jumping anywhere from battery voltage to 7vdc. figured it couldn't hurt to throw one in there and see if that small voltage drop was enough to keep the Bendix from engaging properly.