31 hp vanguard problems.

JeffroSoup

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. Let me start by saying from the few posts I've seen from this site you guys seem very knowledgeable. I'm happy to be Be a member and this is my first post.

I have a 31 hp vanguard engine. Now this engine is not on a lawn mower i actually have it on a Go Devil mud motor. But I'm assuming you guys can still help. My problem is i bought this motor and it started and ran good. I was out and about cruising around and hit a stump which is fine these motors are made to go in stumpy areas. As soon as i hit the stump the engine sounded different. It went from a nice smoothe hum to more of a big block rumble. I also had zero throttle response. So i limped it back to shore. Once i got it hone irealized the little rod that opens or closes the throttle bounced out when Ii hit the log. So i fixed it and started it up. Still sounds loud and seems to be running very rich (back firing) and still no throttle response. So i change the plugs. They were fowler bad! And actually the guy had the wrong ones in there. He had the short ones in. So i put te correct ones in and tried it and it starts easier but still no throttle response and running rich. So i smell the oil and it smells badly of gas. Does anyone have any ideas where to start here? I know it could be the carb or possibly the fuel pump. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am poor and will be fixing this in my garage! ! Hahahaha

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is it possible that when you hit the stump it could of offset the flywheel key, and changed the timing.

JeffroSoup

Forum Newbie
Threads
Would the timing cause gas to get in the oil? I haven't checked the timing key yet though.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the timing is off, it could cause unburnt gas to get past the rings and cause gassy oil, but it could also be the needle valve in the carb isn't sealing causing the rich run, gas in the oil, and hitting the stump had nothing to do with it. You may have to remove and clean the carb, and install a carb kit.

JeffroSoup

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only reason I think it was the log was because I was running wide open throttle and everything sounded great and the split secon I hit the llog it was an instant noise change and instantly thwre was zero throttle response.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would start with the flywheel key.

JeffroSoup

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm going to check that out. I appreciate all the input. This is the most advice I have got anywhere.