3 hp Tecumseh

Threads
I've got a little 3 hp Tecumseh on a mini bike. When it's running a little puff of white smoke will come out when I hit the gas. Is this normal or the beginning of a piston ring replacement? It does not smoke at idle or when I maintain a higher rpm, just when I hit the throttle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

In general,
White smoke under load = worn rings
White smoke backing off = valve guides

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it using oil? Bad valve guides will also cause oil consumption.

Threads
:welcome:

In general,
White smoke under load = worn rings
White smoke backing off = valve guides

That's kind of what I thought. So it's probably the rings. Does it even have valve seals since it's a horizontal shaft?

Threads
Is it using oil? Bad valve guides will also cause oil consumption.

No not really using any oil that I can tell. But its only ran maybe two hours since the last oil change. Actually I filled it just a tiny tyne bit over the fill line. Like maybe a cm.

Threads
I wonder if I should add some of that Engine Restore from Autozone and see if it stops smoking. I don't think it will hurt the engine anymore than what it already is. It's only a couple bucks and if it works then that beats the hell out of tearing the engine down and replacing the rings. Any thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing you can pour into the engine will ever fix anything, just mask the symptoms till the engine goes bang.
As it is a "toy" you will have to make call on it.
If the engine has a C I linner then no great drama but if it is plated running on bad rings will kill the engine.
Again depends how long you want to keep it for.

Threads
Nothing you can pour into the engine will ever fix anything, just mask the symptoms till the engine goes bang.
As it is a "toy" you will have to make call on it.
If the engine has a C I linner then no great drama but if it is plated running on bad rings will kill the engine.
Again depends how long you want to keep it for.

Yeah I'll probably just rebuild it. I have been looking online for awhile and I can't seem to find a complete rebuild kit for a 3-1/2 hp Tecumseh. The only thing I found was a set of new rings with a new piston. I figure if I'm gonna do the rebuild I might as well do it right and replace the gaskets and everything else that comes with a complete kit.