3.8 horsepower tecumseh lawnmower wont stay running

chevyman984

Threads
My murray lawnmower with a 3.8 hp Tecumseh engine wont stay running until five pulls. I push the primer button 3 times and and pull it once and it fires right up....then dies. I does this five tiimes and then it stays running (barely) it misses and pops and does this until the engine is fully warmed up. Any ideas why? Btw this mower sat in my aunts garage for 18 years. I tore it completly Down and reassembled it( the carb too) and bought a new float and a new wire that holds the needle thing on, and only does this when its cold. Any ideas guys :(

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tecumseh carburetors are Very finicky ...
Your problem is in or around the carb, Could have the float set too low, also check for a good seal between the engine and carburetor (air leak) ... something is making it lean till it comes to operating temp... :smile:KennyV

chevyman984

Threads
Tecumseh carburetors are Very finicky ...
Your problem is in or around the carb, Could have the float set too low, also check for a good seal between the engine and carburetor (air leak) ... something is making it lean till it comes to operating temp... :smile:KennyV

The seal between the carb and the carb is probably th problem since u mentioned it, because when I removed the carb, the gasket riped so I used black silicone as a gasket. Thanks a lot!!! ;)

pondman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 3.8 horsepower tecumseh engine on a weed wacker. I have similiar problem when I leave the engine sit awhile. Check the small holes in your bowl's nut/bolt. If you didn't completely clean out the fuel tank and line, you may have gunk floating around in your fuel. Those little holes will plug and sometimes you can't see anything. I'd also look at the fuel well area-- where the bolt is inserted. This is the most problem area if your engine starts but won't stay running. I think it's something between that point and the piston-- a chock vent or something. It's probably not the float or needle.

I actual had this problem yesterday. Cleared it up with a toothpick.

chevyman984

Threads
I have a 3.8 horsepower tecumseh engine on a weed wacker. I have similiar problem when I leave the engine sit awhile. Check the small holes in your bowl's nut/bolt. If you didn't completely clean out the fuel tank and line, you may have gunk floating around in your fuel. Those little holes will plug and sometimes you can't see anything. I'd also look at the fuel well area-- where the bolt is inserted. This is the most problem area if your engine starts but won't stay running. I think it's something between that point and the piston-- a chock vent or something. It's probably not the float or needle.

I actual had this problem yesterday. Cleared it up with a toothpick.

I actually replaced that bolt because I lost it. And unfortunatly today when I used it, it sounds like the engine is siezing up :( it squeaks.