27 hp Briggs and Stratton governor/idle/spring issue

gmixon01

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 27 hp Briggs and Stratton governor/idle/spring issue
first and foremost, thank you to all the members who have offered so much needed help to others. i joined and i lurked trying to gleam the information i was seeking. now i have a question and i just know some of you folks will have the answer.
ok here's the setup... i have a 04 Husqvarna(yth2148b) riding mower that ended up needing a engine replacement. ordered replacement engine and received a Briggs and Stratton 27hp(44q777)(code 3137g5). well the first and most obvious thing is i am going from a 21hp to a 27hp engine. also, this new engine is set up for a different style choke/throttle configuration(one cable). on my mower i have two separate cables. Another thing is how the linkage for the carburetor is done. and this is what leads me to asking for your help.
i am unable to determine the proper spring setup. and when i have started the engine, it appears to want to run at wide open throttle. if i hold the throttle linkage in the closed position, it will try to idle but then die(which i assume is because i am bypassing the governors action of feathering the butterfly valve opening and closing). i have not let this run for any extended amount of time to avoid grenading the new engine.
i hope this is enough information to help you guys help me. i will add more information as i need to can also add pics if needed.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me that you did not receive the correct replacement engine. We will need some pic to help you out. If you can label the control cables somehow that would help. One question I have, is the carb in the same location when you put the new engine in the tractor?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just looked at the parts manuals for 44Q777-3137-G5 and found that you are correct in finding the throttle and choke combined. This is what the 3137 spec number calls for. You have the wrong repower engine but it can be changed back to the two cable system which I feel is very prefered. I've never liked the full throttle to get choke and starting at full throttle or close to it. You may be able to research the parts that you will need to be able to connect the choke cable to the engine and choke. The link that connects the choke to the throttle will need to be removed in this process. With all governor controlled engines, the throttle cable is connected to the governor which in turn sets the RPM range based on the throttle lever position by controlling the carb throttle plate(s).
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

gmixon01

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey fellas,i managed a pic or three. i hope these shed a little light on the subject.

gmixon01

Forum Newbie
Threads
can anyone here let me know what slots the springs go in? i have a feeling that may be a contributing factor in my problem

gmixon01

Forum Newbie
Threads
oh and i see that the writing for which cable is which is not that easily seen. so the red arrow marks the choke while the blue on is for the throttle

gmixon01

Forum Newbie
Threads
bumping my post as it still isn't resolved and i am almost at wits end.

gmixon01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pug, i did try the FAQ on Brigss and Strattons site. i adjusted the governor according to their directions and have the ability to now speed up the engine using the throttle cable. my problem lies in not being able to make it idle properly when putting the throttle in the "turtle" position. that is what has led me to feel that i must be having a spring problem.
i know on a carburetor type automobile that i would need a return spring to bring the linkage back to normal rest position. but there is no place for that here. hence my dilemma. :eek:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pug, i did try the FAQ on Brigss and Strattons site. i adjusted the governor according to their directions and have the ability to now speed up the engine using the throttle cable. my problem lies in not being able to make it idle properly when putting the throttle in the "turtle" position. that is what has led me to feel that i must be having a spring problem.
i know on a carburetor type automobile that i would need a return spring to bring the linkage back to normal rest position. but there is no place for that here. hence my dilemma. :eek:

Now we are getting somewhere. To tell you the truth i was getting confused at what problem you were having. :confused2:
Dont think its a spring problem. On the throttle linkage there should be an idle adjustment screw at the side of the carb.
You may need to remove the engine covers to see it.