25hp kohler bad head gasket ?

Chanse5

Threads
I'm new to this forum but I need some help with my mower .. The motor does ok when on level ground and not so tall grass but on any type off hill or thick grass or goin to fast ( but still shouldnt be bogging down when it does ) it will bog down and cut out and I have to stop and let the rpms build back up . It will some sometimes on start up but that's it I don't notice any smoke when I'm mowing but it uses alot of oil can anybody help me I have ordered new head gaskets and bolts for it just have to wait for them to get here .

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums... .
Just wondering what is directing you to a head gasket? Are you seeing or hearing something that is not in your description?

I would possibly look at a fuel issue, float set too low, main jet partially plugged. If a change like the incline of a hill bothers it I would check that... You can slightly richen the fuel delivery by applying a little choke, not enough to cut down on air flow...
Try that when it stumbles and post back with the results... :smile:KennyV

Chanse5

Threads
i think it might be the head gaskets from all of the oil useage and fouled plugs. there is no oil on the motor or any that leaks and i dont see any smoke while mowing . i have had the carb off and cleaned and checked and that didnt change anything if i try to pull the choke out any at all it makes it run worse and will kill the motor..

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I trust your Not over filling with oil?

DaveTN

Threads
How does the Governor operation work? Flat ground, blades engaged? Not engaged? On a hill? Could be a fuel starvation issue with the carburetor, fuel system. I worked on an old Ford LGT Cast Iron Kohler single cylinder engine that did a similar stunt. Once I adjusted the governor properly, it not only had more power, but more RPM as well. Then it was easy to adjust the carburetor to accomodate the proper governor setting. No amount of carb adjustments would help a lagging governor. I know it's a long shot especially since no one has bothered the governor linkages, shaft, and adjustments. Could also be a leaking carburetor to engine gasket letting it suck air. Puzzling in that it only acts up on a hill under load. How does it do on a hill without blades engaged? A governor lagging on response will cause an engine to lug and work itself to death by holding back RPM when it needs it most! Concerning the head replacement, I've never heard of a good head causing oil consumption like that. A bad head, warped, or blown gasket would cause loss of compression and power. Might not even run.
If bad rings are pumping oil with a lot of blow-by, it should have a cloud of smoke coming out the muffler. You said it was fouling plugs too and that would in itself cause an engine not to run at top level due to oil fouling. Something is causing that oil fouling besides the head, possibly a broken ring, oil ring bad, could be worn valve guides making it pump oil as well. Is it getting good compression?

Chanse5

Threads
How does the Governor operation work? Flat ground, blades engaged? Not engaged? On a hill? Could be a fuel starvation issue with the carburetor, fuel system. I worked on an old Ford LGT Cast Iron Kohler single cylinder engine that did a similar stunt. Once I adjusted the governor properly, it not only had more power, but more RPM as well. Then it was easy to adjust the carburetor to accomodate the proper governor setting. No amount of carb adjustments would help a lagging governor. I know it's a long shot especially since no one has bothered the governor linkages, shaft, and adjustments. Could also be a leaking carburetor to engine gasket letting it suck air. Puzzling in that it only acts up on a hill under load. How does it do on a hill without blades engaged? A governor lagging on response will cause an engine to lug and work itself to death by holding back RPM when it needs it most! Concerning the head replacement, I've never heard of a good head causing oil consumption like that. A bad head, warped, or blown gasket would cause loss of compression and power. Might not even run.
If bad rings are pumping oil with a lot of blow-by, it should have a cloud of smoke coming out the muffler. You said it was fouling plugs too and that would in itself cause an engine not to run at top level due to oil fouling. Something is causing that oil fouling besides the head, possibly a broken ring, oil ring bad, could be worn valve guides making it pump oil as well. Is it getting good compression?
The governor seems to work the way it should the motor will build rpms when it gets under a load but when to much of a load then the motor will start to bog and cut out, the motor does fine with the blades off goin up hill or under any type off load it's only when the blades are engaged when it will bog and cut out because of the extra strain on the motor , I have put all new spindles on my deck , new belts , new blades there is nothing holding the
Motor back from having power I have made sure of that , and if it was compression ring or oil ring it would smoke like crazy or have alot of oil in the carb/ filter and it does not smoke while runnin or under a load. Only smokes every once in a while right on start up for maybe 1 second just long enof for the motor to rev to runnin rpm then nothing, and I can go up a hill with blades engaged no matter how steep as long as I go slow it will not bog down so i don't think it has nothing to do with the angle of the motor , it's just if I make it work to hard or a load on it it will bog and cut out then I just have to stop and let it build back up the rpms then go again .. I have seen a few forums similar to this but never really got a answer but alot of them were sayin head gaskets

Chanse5

Threads
It uses alot of oil I was thinking maybe oil is gettin pushed out of the valve cover breather hose into the carb and gettin Burt with the fuel is the only place I can think all the oil would be goin the motor does not leak oil

TnHusky

Threads
Just out of curiosity, how many hours on this engine and what kind of oil do you use?