24 hp briggs running rough and backfiring

scrappy

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok i have a 24 hp briggs that i have had for 7 years it only has 400hrs on it..and now it is running rough and backfiring while no load. when you engage the blades the motor smooths out and she cuts like a beast.and as soon as you turn the pto off it goes back to poppin and snortin...i have changed the carb,plugs,filters,oil,fuel and fuel lines and fuel pump..spoke to a guy in town about it he said to adjust the govenor so i did just what he said and low and behold no change..i also set all valves at .05 just like the manual says...so maybe someone here can help me.what could it be?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Slowly pull the choke lever out and see if it evens out at any point.

bonecracker93

Threads
yes try adjusting the choke a few of my mowers chokes at 50% or so to run optimuly

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to the decade of the worst engines briggs ever built since they moved from wisconson to mexico. And I estimate it will only get worse.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pulling out the choke enrichens the mixture strength which suggests what was ok for 7 years is not now. If it is an Intek take a look at the position of the exhaust valve guide on # 1 cyl. Is it pushed up? If something is leaning out the fuel take a look at the rubber tube, crank case to intake . Mine was not fully connected. I am surprised the guys have not suggested gummed up main jet (does it have one??) or equiv. Admitting excess gas into the cylinders can wash out the oil film and accelerate wear. Remember, I only have one Intek , unlike the good advice of the professionals, but what the heck... :thumbsup:

Mikel1

Threads
Slowly pull the choke lever out and see if it evens out at any point.

X2, not sure some on here understand why you said this.:laughing:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, it was not suggested as a fix or cure, but an attempt to "diagnose" the engine....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If we hear back from the original guy, we can go forward.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is it about these Inteks that sxxx begins to happen out around 300-400 hours?? Some suggested Mexican assembly, but don't thinks so. Look at VW there, and all the US assembly of Japanese cars. Must be in bad stuff in the components. Really its only the heads?? Why can't we always get good head (s)? Like James Bond? :confused3: