22HP V-Twin Surging - Solved

joe_cooler

Threads
Just wanted to add what I found last night that corrected my surging problem. Might help some of you. Standard Bolens Riding Lawn Mower with 22HP V-Twin. New after market carb. Surged at all RPMs. Sprayed carb cleaner in the throat and smoothed out. Sprayed carb cleaner around carb and manifold checking for leaks and no change in surging. Did see the governor actuating rod binding a little on the plastic manifold, so I trimmed some of the manifold away for smooth up and down clearance. Still surging. Cleaned plugs. Still surging. Getting a little frustrated. Start touching lots of parts and moved the fuel line. Fuel seeped out before the filter. Ah Ha!! Cracked fuel line letting in air. Cut back past the cracked line. Reattached and bingo!! Smooth as butter. Starts when warm without choking. So, check for air leaks all along the fuel system. Also, I have had a line in the past where the inner liner separated from the tubing. When you checked the line, in flowed fine. But when the vacuum pulled the fuel, it collapsed the inner fuel line liner and starved it for fuel. We used a surrogate fuel tank and line to isolate the fuel line issue. Replace the line to fix that one. Put that in you memory kit for future reference.